Ann's Reviews > The Grunt Padre: Father Vincent Robert Capodanno Vietnam 1966-1967

The Grunt Padre by Daniel L. Mode

Dec 15, 13

bookshelves: christian-books

This was an inspiring read. The author chronicles the early life as well as the education and preparation of Fr. Capodanno for the mission field. Fr. Capodanno started out in Taiwan as a missionary after 6 years of intense preparation. He didn't seem to really find his niche in missions until he chose to ask for a transfer to become a marine chaplain.The vocation of Marine chaplain was perfect for him ... he had such a Godly compassion for his fellow Marines who he served during the Vietnam War. He brought a sense of God's Presence to those he suffered with during the intense fighting that took place during his tour of duty.Since our own son served a tour of duty during intense fighting in the Iraq War, I've come to appreciate the incredible contribution chaplains make in the lives of our young men and women as they grapple with the deep questions of life and death and awful atrocities of war that they are witness to.Fr. Capodanno gave everything ... including his life ... to bring the Presence of Christ to those desperately needing assurance in time of war.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grunt Padre.