Mitchell's Reviews > Pedagogy of the Oppressed

Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire

Nov 28, 2007

bookshelves: non-fiction, higher-ed-administration
Read in November, 2007

I read this one in my Sociology of Adult and Higher Education Class. This was probably the most interesting (and intellectual) book that I read for my classes this semester. It is obvious that Freire is a Christian and his pedagogy of the oppressed is an educational mirror of liberation theology. How he mixed faith with philosophy of education was very interesting, especially when he started writing about the WORD. With that said, however, he is also too tied to socialism and revolution with many examples to the Cuban revolution, Castro, and Guevara. I wonder what Freire would think looking back on the Cuban Revolution now.

Freire is interesting but a little too black and white for me. I think it is important to look at the power dynamics in education, I believe in diologics, yet I also believe in somewhat of an educational hierarchy. Still there are obviously problems in our societies with power and its abuse and the distance between the poor, middle class, and elite. Education being one of the main ways to solve these issues, Freire's in an interesting analysis and practice.

And I really enjoy his idea of praxis -- reflection and action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pedagogy of the Oppressed.