Sian Jones's Reviews > The Magicians

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Apr 05, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-scifi, third-person-narrator
Read in March, 2011

So the book's entire point is that fantasy novels for children are insufficiently bleak and under-violent? That the carnage and unpredictability of Dungeons & Dragons is a closer approximation of what real fantastical combat might be? REALLY? That's your THESIS, Mr. Grossman? Because DUH, says everyone who's ever played an RPG. I'm not sure you were going for -- giving us as narrator an anti-Harry Potter, a pretentious hipster who keeps giving lip-service to belief, but only as a means to escape those things he finds unpleasant -- and thereby distancing us from the heart of the story, Alice, the real magician. I felt like hollering, We get it! Everyone thinks they were Cleopatra in a previous life! Everyone identifies with the hero, when the odds are significantly higher that we're actually the folks who'll disappoint when the chips are down. In fact, the odds are good that we're not even the good guys! We get IT. We're GROWN-UPS. Getting away from that reality might even be why we read -- to escape. Is that what you're trying to do here, then? Criticize us as anti-intellectual readers? Indict the whole fictional enterprise? Because if so, I say: SNORE. (In short, I am so not reading the second book in the series.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.