Michelle's Reviews > How I Live Now

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Sep 06, 09

Read in June, 2009

Rosoff paints a realistic picture of the toll war takes on children there can be no arguing that. It is ugly and violent and at some points gruesome but it is also what one would imagine the ravages of war would be those so young. It was not difficult to read these circumstances, however, as the author was careful to craft scenes with just enough detail to allow the reader to imagine some of the children’s surroundings.

What the reader might find most compelling is the portrayal of the children’s fight for survival. How they manage everything from food and water to home security. Though young, they are shown as keenly intelligent and creative, cautious to navigate their precarious circumstances wisely and with great care. Moreover, it is in the end result, the “where are they now” element that the most satisfaction can be drawn. Without giving away that ending it can be said that it was painted a most believable and emotional way.

While there were passages and elements of the story I thought were too drawn out, the pacing a bit slow, I thought this quietly honest depiction was worthy of reading. It certainly puts a face on how children manage the diversity of war without being over the top in violence and gore. If a parent is looking for a book to educate their child of such real-life circumstances I’d certainly recommend How I Live Now.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Live Now.

Rebecca just thought you should know, it seems like you posted a review for the wrong book here!

Michelle Rebecca wrote: "just thought you should know, it seems like you posted a review for the wrong book here!"

Thank you so much! I was moving a few over at the same time and I must have copied wrong. UGH!