Catharine's Reviews > Common Sense

Common Sense by Thomas Paine

Aug 12, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in August, 2009

This pamphlet was included in the back of Glenn Beck's book "Common Sense, the Case against an Out of Control Government, inspired by Thomas Paine."
It was interesting to read Paine's comments in context of the setting of over 200 years ago, and to contemplate the way things are today.
I loved the 2nd section of this pamphlet "On Monarchy and Hereditary Succession. Paine uses the bible to prove that God is against having kings as a form of government, and especially kings that inherit the throne and title. I thoroughly enjoyed and agreed with his argument. He quotes Gideon from the Bible. When the people asked Gideon to be their king, he responded "I will not rule over you, neither shall my son rule over you, THE LORD GOD WILL RULE OVER YOU." Why do we, as a society, have a tendency to raise up one man or a group of men to have so much power over us? Gideon was right. Only the Lord God should be our King.
On the hereditary title he says: "For all men being originally equals, no man by birth could have a right to set up his own family in perpetual preference to all others for ever..."
Of course, we don't have a king in the US, but we are getting very close to losing a lot of our freedoms by giving certain individuals almost kingly powers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Common Sense.