Andrea's Reviews > The Careful Use of Compliments

The Careful Use of Compliments by Alexander McCall Smith

Sep 24, 07

bookshelves: read-2007, fiction-general
Recommended for: those looking for a break
Read in September, 2007

This, the Isabel Dalhousie series, is one of two series that I keep tabs on, and both have new books out this fall. This series is largely character driven, has a great sense of geographic place, and is just an easy, entertaining read. Plus, I'll always give points for a book whose main character is a philosopher. I do think this particular book is the weakest of the 4 Dalhousie books, but that's alright. Still quite enjoyable.

I do confess that I almost didn't list this on my Goodreads account - I am a reader who has always felt guilty about reading certain books, the literary equivalent of a bag of Skittles, even though in this series McCall-Smith weaves in great little tidbits of info on art, music, Scotland, and of course distillations of philosophy. In any case, I'm trying to get away from this guilt, and the anecdote and conclusion I fall back on is this: I was once discussing childhood reading habits with a bibliophile friend, and I mentioned having loved The Babysitters Club as a kid. She scoffed, and pointed out that there was so much great YA fiction, why would I chose to read that. I was offended, and then kind of embarrassed, but then thought, well hell, I gained a life-long love of reading from my experience with that series, and that's all that matters to me. And so it continues.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Careful Use of Compliments.