Christina's Reviews > Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas

Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas by Louise Rennison

Aug 12, 2009

I got a real kick out of these funny, honest, unsentimental YA books. I would have loved (and I mean LOVED) them in high school. They're written as the diary of a British girl named Georgia, and she covers all the drama, hilarity, embarassment, etc., of the high school years, only with a delightful Englishness. Really fun, reeeeeeally amusing. I don't imagine they'd meet with much approval from the parents of American teenagers, though- Georgia is pretty frank (even crude- she's a teenager after all) about matters of anatomy, and she's very cheeky and disrespectful of adults. I wasn't bothered, though- I think those kinds of things are what give it an honest ring. It was hard for me to believe that Georgia's voice was actually written by an adult.

Here's an excerpt, the opening of the first book:

"Dad had Uncle Eddie round, so naturally they had to come and see what I was up to. If Uncle Eddie (who is bald as a coot) says to me one more time, 'Should Bald Heads be Buttered?' I may kill myself. He doesn't seem to realize that I no longer wear romper suits. I feel like yelling at him, 'I am fourteen year old, I wear a bra! OK, it's a bit on the loose side and does ride up round my neck if I run for the bus... but the womanly potential is there, you bald coot!'
Talking of breasts, I'm worried that I may end up like the rest of the women in my family, with just the one bust, like a sort of shelf affair. Mum can balance things on hers when her hands are full- at parties, and so on, she can have a sandwich and a drink and save a snack for later by putting it on her shelf. It's very unattractive."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas.