Lanea's Reviews > The All-True Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton

The All-True Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton by Jane Smiley

Jan 28, 09

bookshelves: fiction, women-writers, historical-fiction
Read in January, 2006

Jane Smiley's The All-True Trials and Adventures of Lidie Newton is historical fiction done pretty darn well. Set in pre-Civil War Illinois, Missouri, and Kansas Territory, the novel follows Lydia Newton through her marriage to an abolitionist; their homesteading in Lawrence, Kansas and its environs; and her subsequent travels around Missouri. Lidie is a thoroughly sympathetic character: a bright, honest woman who dislikes rules for rule's sake, pretension, cruelty, and inaction. Throughout the novel, I found myself rooting for Lidie and her friends. I'd be shocked to find someone who didn't do the same.

My only gripes surround pacing. Smiley's reliance on period-style writing leaves the novel lagging in a few sections. But it's all forgivable, considering just how well Smiley handles her own version of period prose. As usual, the author did her homework well. This is, overall, a well-researched book with engaging characters and an unusually honest view of the west's roll in the Civil War.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The All-True Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton.