Alan's Reviews > The Cricket in Times Square

The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden

Aug 12, 09

I loved this book. I don't normally like books with talking animals and I don't like Newberry Medal books either but this one was great.

The Times Square subway station from The Cricket in Times Square is full of fiction and nonfiction. Some examples of nonrealistic things would be Tucker Mouse, Harry Cat, Chester Cricket, and the Bellinis. Some realistic parts are the shuttle train and the station itself.

Tucker Mouse is a city mouse that lives in a drain pipe with a city cat named Harry. For some strange reason Harry and Tucker are best friends. Chester cricket is a country cricket that was brought to NY in a picnic basket and has to live in NY for a while. Mario Bellini is a child from a poor family who discovered Chester in a pile of dirt. Mama Bellini does not like Chester. Papa Bellini is a kind hearted person who thinks Chester is o.k. All of these people are fictional.

The only real characters are not people or animals. The “bad guy character” is NY. And then there is a few who do not play a part in the story like the Times Square subway station, Grand Central Station, and Times Square.

So the Times Square subway station in the Cricket in Times Square is a world of fiction and nonfiction. I would recommend this book to pet lovers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cricket in Times Square.

dateDown_arrow    newest »