Miriam Mathew's Reviews > NOT A BOOK: For the Summer

NOT A BOOK by NOT A BOOK

10072078
EDIT 23/09/2013: I just found out that For The Summer has been put back on Amazon so I guess this is now my chance to read it for myself. Wish me luck :) I'm also going to read Dusty by Mary Elizabeth for myself because I want to make up my own mind.
________________________________________

EDIT 23/09/2013: Well, I'm kind of embarrassed. I still stand by my earlier thoughts on rating a book before it being published but I don't know where this book stands with plagiarism.

I know which parts of the book have been supposedly plagiarised from the fanfiction story, courtesy of Ari Bookzilla's review. The fanfiction being referred to can also be found here.

I'm really disappointed but the crux of the issue is whether the author did this on purpose or if all of it was just pure coincidence. I'm hoping it's just pure coincidence even though For The Summer was pulled off Amazon, which I'm really sad about because I would have liked to read it for myself. But the author, Shey Stahl has publicly denied any plagiarism, stating that all of it was her own work. If you want to see her post, it's right here

I like to be optimistic so I prefer to think that Shey hasn't plagiarized anything, and that the similarities are just that. Similarities. And hey, I'd also like to think that way because I have defended this book a lot so I don't like seeing any of that effort go to waste.

But if it is truly confirmed that the author did plagiarize, I'm afraid I'm not going to stand by her anymore. Plagiarism is wrong. It's immoral and it means stealing the hard work of another person. Right now though, it's an innocent-until-proven-guilty system for me. I won't be taking sides but I can say that I understand the viewpoints of everybody involved.
________________________________________

EDIT 2/08/2013: So recently I came across this book again, and I found that it had an average rate of 1.00. How? Well, one person rated this book one star. ONE STAR. Since no one else has given it a higher rating, it's stuck at one star.

I'm disappointed. Extremely disappointed. Let's not forget that For The Summer hasn't even been PUBLISHED yet let alone released and it's already been rated the lowest of the low.

I'm not going to go on a rant about how unfair this is to the author. Readers do have the right to complain or trash a book all they want: even if they haven't read it.

Like Stacia Kane said: "Readers have the right to say whatever the fuck they want about a book. Period. They have that right. If they hate the book because the MC says the word “delicious” and the reader believes it’s the Devil’s word and only evil people use it, they can shout from the rooftops “This book is shit and don’t read it” if they want. If they want to write a review entirely about how much they hate the cover, they can if they want. If they want to make their review all about how their dog Foot Foot especially loved to pee on that particular book, they can."

Authors would need a thick skin to face the criticism and backlash that comes with writing a book. But to rate a book one star before even reading it is not cool. People may have the right to do that, but that doesn't mean it's morally right. My heart really goes out to the author, it really does.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say on the matter. If anyone wishes to post any negative comments or opinions, just message me. It's less messy that way. I've seen other reviewers discussing sensitive issues such as this one, and I've also seen the negative comments towards them on their reviews because of that.

I'm also going to add, this is my opinion and I have the right to say, don't diss it! Miriam, out!
________________________________________
Blurb~ 'Freckled cheeks, sunburns, a river bankyoung, wild, and brave. Sophie Kaden falls in love with the smartmouthed boy she can't seem to forget. She's looking to fit in for the summer; he's just hopeless. She's afraid to let go; he won't let her.'

I WANT this. I NEED this. I HAVE to have this!

description
Breathe, Miriam, breathe and calm yourself!!

Can a book sound any more appealing than it already is!!?!?!??! It's impossible to imagine right now. Well, it's impossible to think I'm in an emotional high with my head stuffed into a cloud of euphoria!

I love this book already but it does seem a little too perfect. So it goes without saying, if this turns out to be not as great I thought it would be...Well, let's just say, people better start preparing for World War III because I'm going to be on a warpath!!!

And what's this about a "smartmouthed boy"? I love guys with a smart mouth. They're the best! And they're my favourite type of guys. I have a feeling this one has the potential to be placed on my list of the hottest guys ever to cross the earth!!! And if I have to confess, I may be falling in love with him already.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NOT A BOOK.

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany True 'dat!

message 2: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan It really does suck. I woke up one morning a few weeks ago and the same thing had happened to me. 1 star for my unpublished book that I know this person never read. You know what I did? I laughed. Really, truly laughed. Because what else can you do? It's unfortunate, but I don't ever see it stopping. Once the book is published, hopefully, it'll be buried. I've heard amazing things about For the Summer and now it has over 4 stars. So those negative nancies aren't really getting anywhere.

Mallory Brooke I'm in the middle of reading it and its good so far... This 1 star rating is ridiculous.

message 4: by Mina (new) - rated it 1 star

Mina you should first find out why it was rated like that, this book is 60% copy of a fanfiction, that's why it was rates with one star.

Rochelle well, seeing as it's ripped off a pretty popular fanfiction story, one star seems fair. you know who's been treated unfairly? the original authors of the original story.

Cynthia I am a little over 1/2 done and I freaking LOVE this book

message 7: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Mina wrote: "you should first find out why it was rated like that, this book is 60% copy of a fanfiction, that's why it was rates with one star."

She was talking about people giving it a 1 star before it's even published. She wasn't talking about people giving it a 1 star when they've actually read it.

Mallory Brooke Exactly. This review had nothing to do with stolen material, only ratings before reading.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura Shellhorn What story is this ripped off from? I don't know Shey personally but I think it's pretty safe to say that she doesn't need to rip off other people to write a good book! Unless there is real proof that she did it I'm gonna have to not believe it! Funny how no one ever mentions that twilight was pretty much a dumbed down version of true blood, but then they want to blast Shey from " stealing " a FANFICTION story. Maybe the ideas are similar but that doesn't mean she ripped it off. I can't tell you how many books I have read that are pretty much the same story! Grow up and stop complaining!

Mallory Brooke I will say that there are no original ideas anymore. Did anyone get pissy when Jennifer Armentrout practically ripped off Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy for her Half Blood series? No, because everyone loves her and wouldn't even point it out.

It happens... writers of this genre read this genre. It's hard to dissect your thoughts and separate original ideas from ones you've read. He'll, I've provably done that on research papers. How do I remember if I came up with something on my own or read it in the 20 books I'm researching from.

Blatant rip offs are obviously wrong, but to accuse a well established writer of something that hasn't been proven is something serious.

Tricia Taylor Yeah I would like to know what supposed book this was ripped off from. I read a lot of books- a.whole.freaking.lot! I can't can't even come up with one book that was like this- so please enlighten me!

Mallory Brooke Patricia, its supposedly from a fanfiction named Dusty. I haven't read it so I don't know.

message 13: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Mallory wrote: "I will say that there are no original ideas anymore. Did anyone get pissy when Jennifer Armentrout practically ripped off Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy for her Half Blood series? No, because eve..."

Good points!! I had to take a day off from writing after I read Jagged because I kept wanting Jace to talk like a mountain man. And he's the farthest thing from it!!

Rochelle Tessa wrote: "Mina wrote: "you should first find out why it was rated like that, this book is 60% copy of a fanfiction, that's why it was rates with one star."

She was talking about people giving it a 1 star be..."

well then, in that case...you'd be right. who knows why the person gave it a low rating?

Rochelle Mallory wrote: "I will say that there are no original ideas anymore. Did anyone get pissy when Jennifer Armentrout practically ripped off Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy for her Half Blood series? No, because eve..."

side by side comparisons of the story and the book show not just similarities, but verbatim passages. i'm sorry.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura Shellhorn I will take Sheys books any day over FANFICTION. She is currently freaking out on her Facebook page ( friends with her ) and I feel horrible for her! Please make sure that you have facts before you go blaming an author over something like this! Good reads is turning into a horrible place! People have been doing this to authors left and right and attacking them over hear say

Rochelle Laura wrote: "What story is this ripped off from? I don't know Shey personally but I think it's pretty safe to say that she doesn't need to rip off other people to write a good book! Unless there is real proof t..."

it's the principle of the thing. it doesn't matter if the story was fanfic. the fact remains that she took whole passages and turns of phrases. i apologize if this offends. and with that, i'm done. because you're right: she didn't HAVE to steal anything, so why did she?

message 18: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Laura wrote: "I will take Sheys books any day over FANFICTION. She is currently freaking out on her Facebook page ( friends with her ) and I feel horrible for her! Please make sure that you have facts before you..."

Here's the original post. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 19: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Rochelle wrote: "Tessa wrote: "Mina wrote: "you should first find out why it was rated like that, this book is 60% copy of a fanfiction, that's why it was rates with one star."

She was talking about people giving ..."

I think it can happen by accident sometimes. The Want to Read button is so close to the stars.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura Shellhorn I'm not here to fight. Just posting what I feel. I don't troll internet sites looking for fan fiction stories to read ( stopped doing that in 4th grade ). I am just stating that goodreads has turned into a battle zone. People blasting authors and writing horrible reviews that don't even make sense half the time. As far as Shey copying said fan fiction, I don't think she did. Name one book that is currently on the market that is not just like the book next to it? I am pretty sure I saw some other post floating around claiming another author stole fan fiction materiel. All I gotta say is that it people witting fan fiction based of an authors story ( using their characters names and basic story line ) are copying off the author as well. Go ahead blast me like I know you all want to!

message 21: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Laura wrote: "I'm not here to fight. Just posting what I feel. I don't troll internet sites looking for fan fiction stories to read ( stopped doing that in 4th grade ). I am just stating that goodreads has turn..."

The actual original post isn't accusatory, bashing or trolling. It's just pointing out similarities. And the fanfiction in question is actually on Goodreads, so it's not on a 'troll internet site.' I haven't read either book so I can't comment on the topic.

That being said, GR does have a lot of crap that happens, but for the most part I've had good experiences. No one here wants to bash you. This isn't even the review that talks about it.

Michelle Dear Shey Stahl fanclub,

Have you not read Ari Bookzilla's review of For the Summer?

It answers all of your questions and doubts... here, I'll paste it in for you:

Ari Bookzilla.'s review Sep 22, 13
1 of 5 stars
bookshelves: dnf-ed
Read on September 22, 2013

EDIT: The book has been pulled off Amazon and B&N.

***************************************************

I never rate my DNFs. Everyone who knows me, knows this. In this case, I think the book deserves it (as per GR guidelines, this review is about the book, not the author.)

Not to beat around the bush, I read up to 20% (ish) at which point I just threw my hands in the air and thought - I THINK I'VE READ ENOUGH.

For those who have read Dusty, the recently popular Twilight fanfiction which you can read (for free) here, step away from this book if you're not a fan of deja-vu.

Why is that?

Let me demonstrate.
"This is my brother, Edward," Alice says, pointing toward the boy with the same color eyes as her. "He swears he's cool because he's a sixth-grader, but he isn't even that awesome."
Edward pushes Alice. "I'm cool." He laughs. "And I'm awesome."

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“This is my brother, Bensen,” Ivey said, pointing to you with a flip of her wrist. “He swears he’s cool because he’s a sophomore next year, but he’s not that cool.”
You pushed Ivey, puffing out your chest. “I’m cool.” More laughing. “And awesome.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 466-469). . Kindle Edition.

Ah, but it happens in every book. Two books can think of the same thing, we've seen it over and over.

How about 327050925629 same things? Coincidence?
"Isn't there a boy in that house?" Dad asks, finally putting his paper down on the table.

"A boy? Oh, you mean Edward? He isn't a boy, he's a brother." I stop pulling apart my hair.

Mom laughs, but Dad doesn't.

"I don't feel comfortable allowing you to sleep under the same roof as a boy, Bliss." Dad sits back in his recliner.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“Isn’t there a boy in that family?” Dad asked, finally looking at me, squinting at the last remaining sun peeking from the trees.

“A boy? Oh, well there’s Brady. He’s nine.” I stopped, pulling at my hair in an attempt to appear truthful. Sadie lied. I never did. So now that I was, I tried to think of what she might’ve done in this scenario. I could almost picture her pouty brown eyes.

Mom laughed; she knew what I was doing. It was how she worked him, too, to go shopping last week with Aunt Megs.

“And what about the older one?” Dad put his beer down and looked up at me, his hard brown eyes narrowing. “The one I saw holding your hand as he helped you out of the boat I said I didn’t want you on.”

I knew it was too good to be true. I never got away with anything.

“Oh, uh, well that’s Bensen. Ivey’s older brother.” There was no sense in lying now. It would have only made him mad. “He’s fifteen.”

“I’m not comfortable with you hanging out in their house with him. He’s trouble.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 649-659). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
She's wearing a tight blue shirt and a black pencils skirt. Her high-heels tap on the wood as she descends down the steps. Her hair is an unnatural red color, but it's seamlessly curled and styled. And when she smiles, I feel Mom almost cringe.

Alice's mom looks nothing like my mom.

"You must be Renee," the lady with the deep-red hair says, offering her hand.

Mom flattens her curly hair before shaking Mrs. Cullen's hand. "Yes, and your name?" Mom asks kindly.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
She was wearing jean shorts and a red tank top. Her hair was that same rich color as Ivey’s, the color of the canyons with lighter highlights throughout.

“You must be Kathy,” the lady said, offering her hand.

“Yes, and your name?” Mom asked kindly.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 684-686). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
"I'll want to meet some parents," Dad says uncertainly.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“I want to meet their parents,” Dad said uncertainly.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Location 668). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
She'll be fine," Esme says brushing her hand along my long blonde hair;

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
““We’ll take good care of her,” Lindy said, brushing her hand along my long golden locks that hung over my shoulders.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 697-698). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
"You're sleeping here? Why?" Edward says and Petey snorts. Ben just laughs. He always does whatever Edward and Petey do.

I think Alice is about to attack them when their mother comes in from outside. She looks over at Edward and makes a noise with her lips. "Edward, have some fucking manners and be polite.

That word again!

"And clean up before your dad gets home," she adds before stepping into the kitchen.

Edward looks embarrassed for being scolded by his mother in front of his friends. He tosses the remote control onto the floor and begins to clean up after himself and his followers.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“You’re staying here? Overnight? Why?” you asked, and Grayden snorted. Brady laughed, trying to fit in. It seemed he always did whatever you and Grayden did. Ivey looked like she was about to smack you when your mom came back inside. She looked over at you, her eyes narrowed. “Bensen, have some fucking manners and be polite.”

Now I understood your language.

You looked embarrassed that your mom scolded you in front of others. Tossing the control at Grayden, you began to clean up.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 711-716). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
Edward peeks his head out of the door. "What's the matter, Bliss?"

"Give me my nail polish, Edward," I demand. There is no way I'm going near his bedroom. My dad would be so upset.

Edward smirks a mischievous smirk. He steps out of his bedroom but remains beside the doorjamb. "I think I'll keep it, strawberry-blonde."

I make a face. "Give it back."

He tosses it into the air. "Say please."

"Please."

"Say it again."

"Edward," someone says from behind me in an all-authoritative tone, "give the poor girl her nail polish back."

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“What’s the matter, sweet Sophie? You scared to get wet?”

“Give me my shirt, Bensen,” I demanded, trying to cover myself by wrapping my arms around my waist.

You smirked, mischievously. “I think I’ll keep it.”

I made a face as I neared you. “Give it back. I only have that one with me.”

You laughed as if my thinking you would give it back so easily was absurd.

“You’re not very funny.”

“Oh, yes I am. I’m very funny.” You smiled, your cheeks glowing a little from the sun. “And sexy.”

“Nope.” I blushed.

“You’re not.”

“Oh, what do you know? You’re thirteen.”

You tossed the wet fabric in the air. It slapped against the water in front of you. “Say please.”

“Please.”

“Say it again.” You reached over and touched my cheek and for a brief moment, and I thought you might kiss me. My stomach dropped at the thought.

“Bensen,” someone said from behind me in an authoritative tone, “give the girl back her shirt.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 732-744). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************

This is where I stopped, because really. I mean... I don't know. Speechless, stunned, you name it...

It's not only bits and pieces, entire scenes are happening the same, but maybe with just a word or two, added here or there, the names changed.

Sigh.

If I'm wrong, and the book can prove this is her original work, I will gladly take my review down.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura Shellhorn Last comment! What proof is there that the person that wrote Dusty didn't copy Shey? I am hearing that the person that wrote Dusty released her book after Shey announced she was writing For The Summer. How do you know said writter of Dusty was not a beta reader for Shey? Food for thought. On another note I'm not trying to be mean. I love reading books and most of the time don't even pay attention to reviews. I like forming my own opinion. I just hate seeing hard working people that are supporting themselves ( she is an indie writter not published ) get blasted for things

message 24: by Billi (new)

Billi Let's just say, for one second, we put ourselves in the place of someone who put in hours and hours, days and days, writing a story. And then published that story for people to read, FOR FREE. Only then to have large portions of that story then used, without their consent, in a book that actually becomes published. Published AND profited from.
I know if it was me, I'd be incredibly angry and incredibly eager to talk to a lawyer.
If a writer is that good, why does she need to steal words of another, no matter how small?
She doesn't.
Plagiarism is plagiarism, no matter where the words or idea is stolen from and NO MATTER WHO DOES THE STEALING.

message 25: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Laura wrote: "Last comment! What proof is there that the person that wrote Dusty didn't copy Shey? I am hearing that the person that wrote Dusty released her book after Shey announced she was writing For The Sum..."

The Dusty book was published in 2011. That's my guess as to why people aren't guessing the other way around.

And I totally get what you're saying. Trust me, I just finished my first book and this would kill me. But I will say the original reviewer didn't blast her at all. She just pointed out the similarities. She was actually pretty polite about it and said she'd take it down if the author had a problem.

Rochelle Billi wrote: "Let's just say, for one second, we put ourselves in the place of someone who put in hours and hours, days and days, writing a story. And then published that story for people to read, FOR FREE. Only..."

WORD.
couldn't have said it better.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura Shellhorn I didn't even read the review that started it all. In talking about the people that are now going into her other books and calling her a plagerizer and trying to warn people off all of her books. It's likes wild fire. Once one person starts it goes nuts

Rochelle Laura wrote: "Last comment! What proof is there that the person that wrote Dusty didn't copy Shey? I am hearing that the person that wrote Dusty released her book after Shey announced she was writing For The Sum..."

i feel you. at the same time, Dusty was published online in serial format way before talk of For the SUmmer began. you know? it's relatively easy to prove...

message 29: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Laura wrote: "I didn't even read the review that started it all. In talking about the people that are now going into her other books and calling her a plagerizer and trying to warn people off all of her books. I..."

Yeah, that's uncalled for. I'm just trying to give the reviewer the benefit of the doubt. I don't think she was trying to start all that. But once the trolls smell something in the air, there's no stopping them. They're nuts.

Michelle Tessa wrote: "Laura wrote: "I didn't even read the review that started it all. In talking about the people that are now going into her other books and calling her a plagerizer and trying to warn people off all o..."

Kind of like those delusional fans of plagiarizers out there, lol.

message 31: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Michelle wrote: "Tessa wrote: "Laura wrote: "I didn't even read the review that started it all. In talking about the people that are now going into her other books and calling her a plagerizer and trying to warn pe..."

Yep. Comes from both sides. Kinda like back with there were legitimate negative ratings for books that people didn't like, their readers destroyed those reviewers.

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura Shellhorn The reviewer has her opinion and that is fine. I usually just rate a book on the star system and move on. I don't pay attention to reviews wether good or bad but there are people that rely soley on a good or bad review. When people start trolling and making assenine comments is when things start getting real. You could ruin someone's hard work and lively hood because you wanna be an ass( not you ). People just need to stop being so rude lol

Michelle Honestly? I don't agree with any name calling in a public forum. But stating the facts? That's a different story.

That reviewer didn't just share "her opinion" of the book. She stated facts that supported her theory of plagiarism and even took the time to display a side by side documentation of both works.

It just isn't right. And it's still up. I think that if it comes down all of this will end.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura Shellhorn I'm not saying anything about you! I didn't even read your review. Also Amazon did take it down and now they have put it back up so I guess this can all stop now

Rochelle there's a difference between flaming/trolling/name calling, and then stating one's concerns with what could very well be plagiarism. if someone stole whole passages from one of this writer's books, i'm sure the reaction would be the same. what's wrong is wrong. it's not about ruining lives, it's about doing the right thing. write your own stuff - period.

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura Shellhorn Ignore the part about you, I didn't read what you said right. But Amazon did take it down and now it's back up

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura Shellhorn Is this thing on??? I think I have stated multiple times that I am not saying anything about the girl and her review. I'm talking about the people that are now trolling her other books and blasting her and warning people away from her. I'm done bc I guess no one is reading what I'm saying

Michelle We got you Laura. Loud and clear. People are trolling "her" other works now. Gotcha.

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura Shellhorn Not to mention people are now harassing her and making threats to her family! Point proven about trollers! It's a book people not the cure for cancer!

message 40: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan No one here is associated with that. We were only discussing the original review.

On the other hand, there are readers who are bashing the reviewer. So it works both ways.

Carolamex It also seems some of her other works have scenes plagiarized too, so it is not a first time. There is evidence she was informed of this when she wrote fanfic ( which by the way, she wrote) and she pulled the story. Funny part is that the story in question ( not Dusty/For the summer) is now published and is one of the other books people are leaving plagiarized reviews for. So, repeated modus operandi? It certainly seems so.

Margey Sebastian laura shellhorn maybe you stopped trolling fanfiction sites, but shey stahl didn't. she is actually a fanfiction author herself, so she knows plenty about fanfics. don't think she's in 4th grade. they're not usually sophisticated and dishonest enough to engage in plagiarism.

message 43: by Chris (new) - rated it 1 star

Chris Blackburn-arnold @laura, you OBVIOUSLY read fanfiction, you read this!

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura Shellhorn Really? I called it! Now people are going to come at me! It's a book people not the cure for cancer! No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read it. Let's all move on to the next book and go on our merry way please! All I did was stand up for my opinion and make a comment. I didn't say anything negative about the reviewer and I didn't say anything negative about anyone that made a comment on this page. I was simply stating the fact that I don't believe she did it and that the trollers ( no one on this section ) like to take things to the extreme ( for example... Harnessing Shey on Facebook and on twitter and sending personal threats to her family ) . Shey is not the only author that has been attacked on good reads. Books are meant to transport you to another world and make you happy! They are not to be taken seriously. If you want me stop commenting please stop directing post at me and I won't pay any attention to what you are all talking about bc it's not really all that important to me

message 45: by Lucia (new) - rated it 1 star

Lucia Laura wrote: "I will take Sheys books any day over FANFICTION. She is currently freaking out on her Facebook page ( friends with her ) and I feel horrible for her! Please make sure that you have facts before you..."

Do you know that most of her stories used to be fanfiction too before she pulled it from fanfiction.net and published it? I read For the Summer and I read Dusty, story from which she "heavily borrowed" dialogues as well as background scenes. Read my review or this for more proof http://snarkycake.blogspot.cz/2013/09...

Michelle Funny thing is that most of the fanfiction I read is WAY better than the crap I've wasted money on this past week. I wish my friends would all just p2p. So sick of wasting money on books that have "five stars".

Crystal What I don't understand is how ppl are STILL questioning this. The PROOF is in black and white. I realize its hard to accept that someone you know is a thief but facts are facts. She stole intellectual property from another person(s). It's a sad day when ppl can see evidence right in their face and still sit here and deny it. It's a shame if its true that people are threatening Shey and her family. That is sickening. It doesn't change the fact tho, that she is a plagiarist. And if her so called career is tarnished or ruined because of this then so be it. When you play with fire you get burned. She took a chance and lost. No one's fault but her own.

Crystal I'm sure I won't be. I live an honest life. Unlike some. Although I'm not a betting woman, I'll take my chances on saying that this is a personal issue for you. Which is why I completely understand your hostility. No need to be nasty. Thanks for the luck tho ;)

message 49: by Margo (new) - rated it 1 star

Margo Jacobs just remember what you copy because it will come back and bite you.

message 50: by Izzy (last edited Sep 26, 2013 12:42PM) (new)

Izzy Laura wrote: "Really? I called it! Now people are going to come at me! It's a book people not the cure for cancer! No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read it. Let's all move on to the next b..."

Laura, people are taking their time to respond to the comments that you left. Since you seem to be misinformed, they're just trying to clear some matters up for you. They were not "coming at you". They were correcting you.
I'm sorry but if you can't even handle polite replies then, I'm sure even you will agree, you must have difficulty handling conflict. If you have difficulty handling conflict (or don't want to handle conflict) then I think perhaps it would be better to not post comments that would invite conflict at your door?
If it's not important to you then why did you even post on this discussion? Obviously it is important to you because you expressed your opinions but you seem to be uncomfortable when people start questioning your opinions.

I won't touch on whether or not I believe Shey plageriased other works but here are the definite FACTS that you are misinformed:

1. Shey Stahl was a fanfic author. From my understanding, this is how she built her fanbase and started publishing her work. She removed one of her fanfics so that she could turn it into a novel and publish it.

2. I'm sure you'll be happy to know that Stahl made private/deleted her twitter, facebook and blog accounts on the 24th September.

3. Amazon has removed all of Shey Stahl's books. (I've read that they removed them, put them back up and removed them again)

4. Before making comments about a situation then perhaps you should take the time to lurk and understand what's happening. All of your comments regarding the date stamp of 'Dusty' and all of the other fanfics could have been answered had you read the review that pointed out the similarities, or simply taken the time to check the facts. Unfortunately, it seems that your stubbornness got in the way.
This shows to me (and to the rest of the people on this comment section) that you're biased and unwilling to listen to all sides of the situation. You took Stahl's side and yet you were unwilling to not look at how this situation started. How can people not be frustrated by that? You said that you were annoyed by the number of people who just jumped on the bandwagon and had no idea what they were talking about, but isn't that what you're doing?

If you feel that other people aren't reading what you're writing then perhaps it would be better if you state your opinion in a clear, calm manner and look at a situation from all points of view. If you're frustrated by how the topic has turned then simply don't respond to the person you're talking to.

« previous 1