Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Kingdom Beyond the Waves

The Kingdom Beyond the Waves by Stephen Hunt

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: steampunk
Read in August, 2009

Professor Amelia Harsh joins an expedition, funded by Abraham Quest, to find the fabled city of Camlantis. Joining her are Commodore Black and his U-boat, a blind sonar man named Billy Snow, a crazy steamman named Ironflanks, and assorted dregs of society. Meanwhile, Cornelius Fortune, aka Furnace-breath Nick, a demon masked vigilante, stumbles upon what Abraham Quest is really planning...

Two words come to mind when I think about The Kingdom Beyond the Waves: "F@cking" and "Great." All of my problems with the Court of the Air were remedied in this, the next book in the series. The stories are clearer and the characters more interesting and likeable. While some of the characters made appearances in the Court of the Air, I wouldn't think it would be essential to read that one first.

Amelia Harsh is like a musclebound female Indiana Jones/Doc Savage, archaeologist and explorer extrordinaire. The story reads like a Doc Savage tale written by Jules Verne. Hunt's world is a very original place, free of many fantasy cliches.

I recommend this to all steampunk fans and those of pulp adventure tales.

39 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom Beyond the Waves.

08/24 page 1
0.2% "Taking a break from the Hard Case Crime series"
08/25 page 4
0.79% "I think this is going to be better than The Court of the Air"
08/28 page 540
100% "Almost there!"
01/31 marked as: read
show 24 hidden updates…

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Wow! I definitely want to read this after that review.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent It was the best book I've read in months.

Amanda He's right this book and the one that comes before it are a couple of the best books I've read in awhile. Just ordered the third one!

message 5: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Amanda wrote: "He's right this book and the one that comes before it are a couple of the best books I've read in awhile. Just ordered the third one!"

The third one's available?

message 6: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Wow the way you described the heroine,the other character,the story made really interested in this.

Plus i want to read badly more steampunk and pulp adventures even more.

Amanda Dan wrote: "Amanda wrote: "He's right this book and the one that comes before it are a couple of the best books I've read in awhile. Just ordered the third one!"

The third one's available?"

Yeah- you gotta go to amazon.uk and it is released on sept. 3 but there are already a few used ones for sale. i just ordered a used one so i didn't have to wait. if u haven't been to amazon uk just sign up like regular amazon and when you buy the book they'll transfer it from pounds to dollars

message 8: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Done and done. The last thing I bought on Amazon uk was Odd and the Frost Giants a couple years ago.

message 9: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Kingdom is great. Once Hunt finished building the world in The Court of the Air, the rest of the stories flowed a lot more smoothly.

message 10: by TK421 (new)

TK421 Dan,

message 11: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Gavin wrote: "Dan,

You really need to stop...I think you and Stephen and Kemper have doubled my TBR pile, and I fear if I keep following you, it will take over my mind. Another series to add."

The series is only loosely connected. You could probably get by only reading this one.

message 12: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary I concur Dan. A spanker of a book!

message 13: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Derus Wow! A dredge-up of a really good book.

message 14: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Richard Reviles Censorship wrote: "Wow! A dredge-up of a really good book."

It was really good. I forgot all about it until a couple people voted on it earlier. It's a shame the series started it's downhill plunge after this one.

message 15: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Derus Always sad, the decline.

message 16: by Skip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skip Which is book #1 of Jackelian series and do I need to read it first? Did you?

message 17: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Skip wrote: "Which is book #1 of Jackelian series and do I need to read it first? Did you?"

Court of the Air is the first book. I read them in order but you could probably read the Wikipedia summary of Court of the Air and have all the background material you need to read the rest of them.

message 18: by Skip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skip Thanks, happy holidays!!