Sherry's Reviews > A Short History of Nearly Everything

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: gave-up-on
Read from October 30 to December 01, 2011

Another book I had to return before finishing. I thought this would be a book like Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies in that it told the history of "everything" in an interesting way. While the book does do that, its focus is entirely on science. Arguably, science is the explanation of, well, everything; but when your book is titled "A Short History of Nearly Everything," you expect a bit more history.

I would say this book is more a historical survey of the advancements we have made in science, from biology to physics to chemistry to astronomy. Perhaps a more fitting title would be "A Not-so-short History of Scientific Advances." While this book definitely had its interesting parts and great metaphors to demonstrate the vastness of what we know and do not know, it is a massive book and unless you are really, really into science, you will probably find your stamina diminished halfway through.

I don't think I will tackle this book again to finish it, but I will definitely check out Bryson's other book, At Home: A Short History of Private Life.

If you are a science nut or have a couple months to set aside for reading an assignment, check out this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short History of Nearly Everything.

10/30/2011 page 70