Deb's Reviews > Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook by Beth Hensperger

Oct 25, 2007

bookshelves: cooking
Recommended for: people who want hot, cheap, & healthy food
Read in October, 2007

Having finally used this cookbook, oh man. Indespensible.

While the "Fix it and Forget it" crock pot cook books are cheaper to buy, they rely on pre-made sauces and soups (with tons of fat & sodium!) for almost everything.

Not only are the recipes in here healthy, they taste awesome and they're not complicated. I made my own enchilada sauce in 15 minutes and for the first time in my life, it was actually a sauce instead of a soup!

Hensperger & Kaufmann did a beautiful job of explaining beyond the recipe so that you're grounded in the basics of cooking as well, and they do it at the front of the chapter so that you aren't bogged down with excess information when you're just trying to cook.

There are a bunch of bread recipes that I can't wait to try out!

Some of the recipes call for short cooking times of 2-3 hours while others cook 5-8 hours, so having a delayed timer on your crock pot is terribly useful. The other solution I've found is to cook things overnight, pack them away in the morning and re-heat for dinner that night. For instance, right now I'm a walking fajita because I was shredding chicken for dinner and accidently spilled some sauce on my pants.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook.

08/23 marked as: read