Shanon's Reviews > The Magicians

Apr 20, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy, abandoned, 2010, audiobook
Read from April 17 to 20, 2010

I just can’t do it anymore. I knew going into this that the author “borrowed” heavily from other fantasy books like Harry Potter and Narnia so I shouldn’t be surprised at the amount of material that has just been regurgitated – but really!?! It got to be too much. Let’s name just a few:
*The fantasy series that Quentin loves that is eerily like Narnia in many, many ways.
*The super-secret school for magic.
*The students being broken up into groups very similar to the houses in Harry Potter.
*The “houses” playing a giant game of chess against each other. (One of the characters even jokingly refers to it as Quidditch)

Add to this a main character I didn’t like at all and a story with no real plot and I found myself wondering how far I HAD to read to feel like I gave it enough of a chance more than anything else. I got half way and I think that was too much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.

The Holy Terror I'm curious to see what you think of this one. Unfortunately, the more I thought about it the less I liked it, which was a strange thing to happen. It's derivative in a lot of ways, but that wasn't ultimately the main thing that bothered me. So it'll be interesting to see how you feel!

Jillian Shannon, I couldn't agree more. It didn't really settle well with me...but I liked the idea of it. It'll be interesting to see what you think Shanon!