Dan's Reviews > The Children of Húrin

The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien

Sep 24, 2007

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: those who liked the Simirillian
Read in August, 2007

People seem to go both ways on this book, but I can only speak for myself: GREAT.

Great, great, great, great, great. As one who is among the (legions of) people who appreciate the character-driven, powerful portrayal of daily trials, personalities, and themes of friendship and loyalty found in The Lord of the Rings, and those (somewhat smaller number of) people who appreciated the sweeping, cataclysmic majesty of The Simarillion; The Children of Húrin is a most satisfying blend of the two. Set against the giant, almost Biblical backdrop of the 'First Age' of Middle Earth as depicted in the Simarillion, I found The Children of Húrin to be far more accessible (quite a quick read); expanding upon the tragic character of one Túrin, son of Húrin, as he does his heroic best to aid the the races of men & elves against what is essentially the forces of an evil, fallen god; yet, by rash disregard of wise counsel or plain ill fortune, ultimately brings ruin to everyone and everything he holds dear. Lord of the Rings will forever make my blood run swiftly, inciting noble thoughts of friendship, heroism, and perserverence. The Children of Húrin will always break my heart.

It's a small and beautiful, yet heartbreaking little tale against an annihilative backdrop involving the fall of Kings and the fall of cities, ever in the background but inexorably tied to Turin's doom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children of Húrin.