Nancy's Reviews > Gertruda's Oath: A Child, a Promise, and a Heroic Escape During World War II

Gertruda's Oath by Ram Oren

1202308
Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: books-won-on-goodreads
Read in August, 2009

I won this book on GoodReads. This is a true story of World War II. One set of characters revolves around the Stokowitzky family in Warsaw, Poland, the mother, father, son Michael and the nanny Gertruda. The other main set of characters belong to the Karl Rink family in Germany. Karl joins the SS because he is unemployed, even though his wife is Jewish is is their daughter. The book follows the two sets of characters thru the war. The story is told in an objective manner which is one of the things I liked about this book. The horrible things that happen to the people of Poland are brought out by describing their hardshuos, The good things that people did for each other such as the doctor giving Gertruda a job and sneaking out of the Ghetto to attend to Michael when he was ill, and Gertruda sending some of her food into the ghetto to help the doctor and his family, plus the young boy who smuggled it in bring out the goodness in people. As a reader I really needed to see some of this after all the descriptions of the horrible things that happened.

The story of the Nazis, the Jews in Germany and Poland, and the hardship of all people during the war are brought out in this book. I think it is important for Americans to read this - to not forget that this happened. I also liked the story of Karl Rink and the fact that even though he was a Nazi he wasn't a totally bad person - in fact he saved many Jews from death.

This is a very good book. I enjoyed reading it. At times I wish the narration had been a bit less factual but it did accomplish telling a very long story in a little over 300 pages. I would definitely recommend this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gertruda's Oath.