Heather's Reviews > The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Sep 19, 14

bookshelves: science-fiction, own
Read from April 08 to 12, 2013

Not my cup of tea. While I can appreciate and admire Atwood's genius as a writer, and how effectively she made this world of hers come to life and feel plausible, I just flat-out did not like the story. At all. There were no glimmers of light or hope to help counteract some of the darkness of the story. And I really need that. If they were there, I certainly did not feel them. This was such a bleak story. Curiosity is what kept me reading. I wanted to see how things would end. And then you reach the end and don't find out! The historical notes help to make some assumptions, but that's it. Considering I was already frustrated with the book, this did not help my opinion of it one bit.

Despite not liking the story, I do love Atwood as a writer. She's phenomenal. My reaction to this definitely won't stop me from reading her other books.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid's Tale.

Quotes Heather Liked

Margaret Atwood
“Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.”

Margaret Atwood
“It isn't running away they're afraid of. We wouldn't get far. It's those other escapes, the ones you can open in yourself, given a cutting edge.”

Margaret Atwood
“The newspaper stories were like dreams to us, bad dreams dreamt by others. How awful, we would say, and they were, but they were awful without being believable. They were too melodramatic, they had a dimension that was not the dimension of our lives. We were the people who were not in the papers. We lived in the blank white spaces at the edges of print. It gave us more freedom. We lived in the gaps between the stories.”

Margaret Atwood
“I try to congure, to raise my own spirits, from wherever they are. I need to remember what they look like. I try to hold them still behind my eyes, their faces, like pictures in an album. But they won't stay still for me, they move, there's a smile and it's gone, their features curl and bend as if the paper's burning, blackness eats them. A glimpse, a pale shimmer on the air; a glow, aurora, dance of electrons, then a face again, faces. But they fade, though I stretch out my arms towards them, they slip away from me, ghosts at daybreak. Back to wherever they are. Stay with me, I want to say. But they won't.

It's my fault. I am forgetting too much.”

04/10/2013
22.0% "Fantastic writing, but incredibly bleak story. While I'm finding it somewhat interesting, I wouldn't say I'm enjoying it per se." 18 comments
04/11/2013
48.0% "I really hate this world Atwood has created. It's disturbing and unsettling and at times has made my skin crawl. Not enjoying this at all. And yet, I'm curious. Curious enough to continue."
04/11/2013
63.0% "Finally...more back story. These are the moments that tend to pull me into the story more. Keep 'em coming!" 12 comments
04/12/2013
84.0% "Ready to finish this up and move on to other fictional worlds. Preferably ones less insane!" 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Laura This book is absolutely brilliant. And if you own it.....woo. Gotta read it girl. Soon!

Heather I was just thinking about this book yesterday! I've been thinking about picking up another Atwood book soon. I own this one and then also Alias Grace. You read that one didn't you? Which one did you like better?

Laura Hmm. Apples and oranges. Have to go with Handmaid's. Her books are all so different.

Heather She's one of those authors I feel the need to read everything she has written/writes. I may very well pick up Handmaid's Tale next after I finish up my current book. Unless I change my mind before then, that is. lol

Laura You'd definitely keep your great run going, that's for sure.

Heather Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. :)

Laura Great Choice!!!!

Laura I hope you love this!

Heather I'm not very far into it yet, but I can already tell it's going to be a very interesting read! And of course the writing is just wonderful. ((((MA)))) :)

Laura Of course! Yay! Glad you're liking so far.

Jackie You should have said "Not my cuppa Joe" or "Not my cup of coffee." :)

Laura lol!