Michael's Reviews > Dune Messiah

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert

Oct 11, 07

Read in October, 2007

I devoured this book in just 3 days, it is simply that compelling. What more can I say about the most-read sci-fi epic ever written? The Dune series has everything I want in an epic: politics, humanity, religion and space. While the first book deals with revolution, noble families and the fulfillment of prophecy, this second part deals with the personal struggle of the new leader of humanity and the emotional ramifications of being the figurehead of a jihad being waged in his name.

What happens to a man with absolute power when those around him act on their belief that absolute power corrupts absolutely? Reading this story, one begins to see the themes that have permeated the biggest sci-fi stories of our time: Dune echoes throughout "the matrix" and "star wars" movies and even my beloved "Ender Wiggin Saga," in that we are thrust into a new and strange universe centered around one very human and vulnerable character, then guided through a story that strips away all of the foreign technologies and political dynamics to show us ourselves, in our own lives.

Whether you read for leisure or enlightenment, the use of intrigue, violence and the overall tone of questioning the establishment will appeal. This story maturates the reader and provokes one to question the role of politics and religion in our daily existence.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dune Messiah.

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve For so many it seems Dune overshadows Dune Messiah, which is a shame, because it's really good and a fine complement to the previous novel. Great review!

Eric Excellent review. Captures everything about this fantastic sequel to an already amazing book. The ending was fantastic, and everything I wanted it to be.