Shawna's Reviews > Knock Me for a Loop

Knock Me for a Loop by Heidi Betts

Apr 22, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, heidi-betts, sports-romance-hot-jocks, reunions-are-sweeter-second-chances, sizable-packages, 2010-reads, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, favorites, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, made-me-cry, tattoos-piercings-body-art, heroine-curvy-plump-not-stick-thin, 5-stars, feel-good-read-pick-me-upper, animals-matter, hh-physical-mental-disability-ill, hh-limp-paraplegic-wheelchair, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, i-read-no-longer-own-sold-swapped, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, best-snarkasm-humor, heroine-miss-independent, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, humor-fall-off-the-couch-funny-lol
Recommended for: Fans of contemporary romance with hot jocks & lots of humor
Read on April 19, 2010

5 stars – Contemporary Romance

Zack “Hot Legs” Hoolihan might be the star goalie for the Cleveland Rockets, but he’s been in a bit of a funk ever since his fiancée dumped him after a big misunderstanding that involved finding a puck-bunny in his hotel room. Grace refused to listen to or believe Zack’s explanation and innocence, and he was a bit apprehensive about pushing harder for reconciliation after she went all ‘Angela Bassett “Waiting to Exhale” woman scorned’ on him, by damaging his shiny red Hummer, throwing his prized hockey trophy through a wall, trashing his clothes, and stealing his beloved St. Bernard Bruiser.

Months later, Grace has moved on but Zack still misses her like crazy, and to make things worse, it’s affecting his performance on the ice. As if things aren’t bad enough, a bad collision leaves Zack with a busted knee and possibly a future without hockey...or Grace. Now he’s lonely, depressed, missing his dog, hooked on junk food, eating too many cheese doodles, and addicted to soap operas. His best pals Dylan and Gage can’t get through to him, so they guilt Grace into playing nursemaid. Zack and Grace are both determined to keep things platonic, but the more time they spend together, the harder it becomes to resist old times and their past attraction, lust, and feelings.

I really enjoyed this, and it’s a total laugh out loud riot! I loved sweet, sexy Zack, and his internal thoughts, especially when Grace first played nurse, and he and Grace’s battle over Bruiser/Muffin had me falling off the couch with laughter! There were also a few romantic, tender moments when Zack revealed some significant things to Grace that brought a few tears to my eyes. I highly recommend this to anyone who loves contemporary romance with hot jocks, reunited lovers theme, and lots of humor! 5 stars!

Knock Me for a Loop is the third book in the Chicks with Sticks trilogy, and there is some back story on Zack and Grace in the previous book, Loves Me, Loves Me Knot, but I think enough is recapped in this for it to work okay as a stand-alone read. Although, I really enjoyed and recommend Loves Me, Loves Me Knot, too!

Here are some funny Zack-isms/lines that I loved:

**********Possible laughs/spoilers**********

“It made him feel like less of a man. And given how much less of a man he’d felt the past several weeks, that was really saying something. He was surprised someone from the Man Club hadn’t come by to revoke his dick and balls.”

“Bad enough that getting turned on when he had nothing more than a bath towel to hide it would make the condition kind of hard to miss, but getting turned on in front of his ex-fiancee was akin to smearing honey on his junk and walking into grizzly territory.”

“The Howard Hughes thing hadn’t actually sounded like such a bad deal until about...oh, eight thirty-five this morning. Something about having his ex carry him to the bathroom and help him wash his balls just took all the fun out of becoming an eccentric recluse.”

“Then he’d met Grace. No, not just met her, fallen balls over brains in love with her.”

(I guess Zack really likes to say “balls”, LOL!)

24 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knock Me for a Loop.

Quotes Shawna Liked

Heidi Betts, Knock Me for a Loop

message 1: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Hi Shawna,
I will be anxious to hear what you think of this book. I have three of Heidi Betts' books in my TBR pile and am anxious to try her. Hopefully, this is turning out to be a good one for you!

Shawna I really enjoyed it, Ally! It's sweet and laugh out loud funny! I didn't read the first book in the series, Tangled Up In Love, but I really liked Loves Me, Loves Me Knot and this one.

message 3: by Dina (new)

Dina Great review, Shawna. I don't know where I've been living, but I've never heard of this author before. I'll have to check her out.

message 4: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Thanks Shawna for letting me know. I hope you are starting to feel better. It is good to know that I don't have to read the books in order (although, I generally like doing that...my OCD calls!).

message 5: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Ooh, this sounds really good! Thanks for the rec, Shawna--great review!
Now I'm going to see if by some stroke of luck I have one of the other books in this series...

Shawna Thanks, Dina! This is only my third read of hers. I first read one of her stories in the Real Men Last All Night anthology, and then really liked Loves Me, Loves Me Knot. I need to go back and read Tangled Up In Love 'cause it sounds good, too.

Shawna Thanks, Ally! I'm getting better, although now I'm in that post Nyquil loopy phase, LOL! I think you'll enjoy this! :)

Thanks, Auntee! You'll love this! :)

message 8: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane *LOL* Very Awesome Review Shawna! Zack's thoughts sounds just off the wall funny!

message 9: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy Fantastic review, Shawna! Can't wait to get started on this series.

message 10: by seton (new)

seton does this author know her hockey? that's a dealbreaker with sports romances for me.

message 11: by Mahlet (new) - added it

Mahlet Thanks for the book rec, Shawna I was OMGing and LOLing more times than I can count in your book review alone ;) Especially loved the ‘Angela Bassett “Waiting to Exhale” woman scorned’ reference, and the honey'd balls with grizzy bear quote! I. Am. Died.

Shawna -Thanks, Rane! Yep, Zack's hilarious...and a keeper!

-Thanks, Rossy! I think you'll love the series! I'll be anxious to see how you like the 1st book Tangled Up In Love, since I haven't read that one yet.

Seton, I don't know a whole lot about hockey myself (other than I enjoy going to games on occasion), so I'm not really sure if her depictions/references are accurate, but nothing seemed too outlandish, if that helps?

-Thanks and YW, Mahlet!

message 13: by Miss Kim (new) - added it

Miss Kim Thanks for the rec Shawna. Great review, and a all the balls quotes! LOL. Very funny.

Colleen Great review Shawna! Thanks for the rec - I've always wondered about this author but just have been too busy reading other books to check her out. Now I will!! I love sports romances too.

Shawna Thanks, Kim! There are so many funny lines in this, but those are some that really stuck out.

Thanks, Colleen! I hope you enjoy 'em.