Lani's Reviews > People of the River

People of the River by W. Michael Gear

Sep 12, 09

bookshelves: historicalfiction
Read in August, 2009

Despite enjoying historical fiction, Native American history, and in particular, the region of Cahokia, this was a painfully uninteresting book.

Not entirely sure why it couldn't hold my interest. I think I might have lost interest due to the perspective switching for such long periods of time. Also, much of the book didn't have much climax to it and the writing was fairly dry.

Towards the end the action picked up, but the final drama seemed to come out of nowhere. There was a slight setup, but it really just felt forced. The love story that exploded at the end was also unexpected and unexplained.

The book tried to depict a society in turmoil due to both internal and external circumstances, but mostly just seemed to tell the story of a power-mad dictator.

I was impressed by the handling of the male-to-female character. He was married to a female warrior and handled with dignity. Their marriage and relationship was touching, and was a nice touch in an otherwise fairly predictable book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read People of the River.