Rachel Terry's Reviews > Night

Night by Elie Wiesel

Aug 11, 09

bookshelves: memoir
Read in July, 2009

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever cried while reading THE PREFACE of a book. It's all so horrifying that humans can slip to such sub-human levels of feeling. The relationship between father and son was my favorite aspect of the book. When it seemed that there was nothing left but hunger and cold, Wiesel still managed to scrape up enough character and soul to look after his failing father. That is beyond commendable.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night.

Melani It adds a whole new dimension to books like this to be a parent. When I was a child I would imagine myself in the place of those in a book and imagine myself as the child instead of the parent. I find my terror is very much increased now that I can imagine myself in the role of the parent with my own child there beside me. The fear is absolutely compelling, down into the marrow of your bones.

Rachel Terry Melani wrote: "It adds a whole new dimension to books like this to be a parent. When I was a child I would imagine myself in the place of those in a book and imagine myself as the child instead of the parent. I..."

You're right. I remember thinking about how I would feel if we had to evacuate like Wiesel's family did. What would I tell the kids? What would I try to bring with me to protect them? How could I be responsible for them if I no longer had the power to be in control of my own life?

Linda because the book is short, i read from the book aloud each day to my high school sophomore classes (knowing many never read when given as homework assignments.) everyone should know elie wiesel's story.