Lori's Reviews > In-N-Out Burger: A Behind-the-Counter Look at the Fast-Food Chain That Breaks All the Rules

In-N-Out Burger by Stacy Perman

Aug 19, 09

bookshelves: 2009august
Read in August, 2009

Though I'm stuck smack in the middle of the United States, I crave Double-Doubles. As soon as I heard Stacy Perman on NPR, I knew I wanted to read her behind-the-scenes look at the cult and company of In-N-Out.

And 90 percent of the book was fascinating. The humble roots of In-N-Out entwine with the beginning of the nation's obsession with fast food. The quaint burger stand, hot rods and date night may have been of a simpler time, but In-N-Out kept that feeling fresh for 50 years.

The story of how one family's quest for quality turned into the image that is now In-N-Out was fascinating. The book ends up being a memoir for the whole clan as well as the rise of the business. (Perman has written for BusinessWeek, but the book feels like a juicy NYT piece.)

Unfortunately, it ends as abruptly as the lives of two of its characters (founders? businessmen?) did. In the midst of an ugly legal battle, the book just stops. It has a considerable acknowledgments and index section, so I had no idea how close I was to the end. All of a sudden, it was just over.

And given that none of the Snyder family provided direct interviews -- and the family is now down to a granddaughter of the original couple -- I guess there wasn't much left in the "modern" stage to detail. But I wish we'd somehow been given the same glimpse of that as we'd gotten of those early halcyon days.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In-N-Out Burger.