Jill's Reviews > Sick Girl

Sick Girl by Amy Silverstein

Aug 11, 09

bookshelves: memoir, medical
Read in August, 2009

Amy Silverstein does a thorough job of describing what it is like to live with a chronic illness. In a world of fast fixes, people have little time to understand that some of us never get well again, we just have a "new normal." This is something that interests me from a sociological standpoint - how we come to view (and hence to treat) people who can't or don't conform. Silverstein goes one step further in suggesting that she might stop fighting for her life; that the struggle just isn't worth it anymore. I think this was a very brave way to open the book, and added an element of truth.

Some drawbacks included her tendency to repeat herself, saying the same basic thing but in ten different ways. Also I wasn't very impressed with the childish fits in the hospital, but this was more a reflection of her character than of the book itself, and I admit to having no room to judge, not really.

If you are someone who is living with a chronic, life-altering illness (either in your own body or the body of a loved one) this book might be helpful in understanding your own situation, or at least being more empathetic to the full range of emotions of a person who is sick. You might be the only one who sees through the facade of "I'm doing fine, thanks."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sick Girl.