Mounica's Reviews > Sabriel

May 15, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2010
Recommended to Mounica by: Mila
Read from January 27 to February 12, 2010

This is wonderful fresh take on magic. Here’s what it’s about. Just on the other side of the wall is a world where the line between the living and the dead is vague, where dead spirits come back to life. So it is the respected job of the Abhorsen to use the powers of Free Magic and the Charter to keep the dead within the gates of Death. However, Sabriel’s father, the Absorsen, is trapped in Death somewhere in the Old Kingdom. And so Sabriel must take on the responsibility as the next Abhorsen in order to save her father and to stop the powers of the dead from engulfing her world.

It sounds like one of those YA fantasy books where the female heroine is out to save the world, isn’t it? There are many books that star tough women too masculine and heartless. Sabriel, though, is portrayed as a realistic woman with human feelings.

Also, Garth Nix does an excellent job in building the world of the novel. It’s an interesting mixture of medieval and technology. As the story begins with no foreword we emerge into this world confused at the unfamiliar terms and concepts. As the story progresses, clarifications are hinted at, and a rich image builds in our heads.

Sabriel could be a great stand alone, but there is more yet to be explored in this realm. I’ll love to delve deeper in the following books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sabriel.

Quotes Mounica Liked

Garth Nix
“Touchstone watched, suddenly conscious that he probably only had five seconds left to be alone with Sabriel, to say something, to say anything. Perhaps the last five seconds they ever would have alone together.
I am not afraid, he said to himself.
"I love you," he whispered. "I hope you don't mind.”
Garth Nix, Sabriel

Garth Nix
“A Kiss," said Mogget sleepily. "Actually, just a breath would do. But you have to start kissing someone sometime, I suppose."
"A breath?" she asked. She didn't want to kiss just any wooden man. He looked nice enough, but he might not be like his looks. A kiss seemed too forward.”
Garth Nix, Sabriel

02/01/2010 page 133
27.09% "slow beginning, but now it's very interesting"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist MOUNICA!! please please let me know what you think of this! my brothers have this book their room but we havent read it yet.
have a good day :)

message 2: by Mounica (last edited Jan 28, 2010 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mounica Sure thing.=)

Annalisa Amelia, everyone I know who has read it loves it. I keep meaning to put it on hold at the library. Maybe I'll go do that now.

Mily YEY!! I'm so glad you liked it Mounica! :D

Morgan F I'm about to start this book. I'm really excited with all the good reviews and ratings it has.