Marvin's Reviews > Slaughter

Slaughter by Marcus F. Griffin

Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: autographed, horror
Read in September, 2009

A brilliant debut novel. Marcus F. Griffin has managed to take equal parts of Charlotte's Webb, Seabiscuit, and Silence of The Lamb to create a highly original if often gruesome tale of insanity, murder, and cute, or not-so-cute, talking animals. This is a page-turner of the best kind keeping me up to wee hours of the morning and in a giddy state of suspense. Slaughterhouse owner Harold Jackson is in danger of losing the farm and his mind. He speaks to a imaginary pig named Homer who has his own agenda of terror. In the balance lies the lives of Harold's wife and daughter, the animals on the farm, and a famous racehorse named Slaughter. All the human characters are well developed but it is the animals that steal the show especially Slaughter and two cats named Percy and Snowbell. There is quite a bit of humor but as the human and animal body counts rises the suspense and terror also rises. I can't remember when a first novel, especially one from an independent author, kept me so engrossed and on the edge of my seat.

There are some minor criticisms. The quick switches between the two parallel stories were at first a bit dizzying but as the book developed I became used to it, especially when they merged together about half-way through. Secondly, in an attempt to propel the plot forward, the author sometimes hints to a few major twists a little too early. I would have preferred to be totally surprised at some of the twists and turns. Lastly, the minor sub-plot around a conspiring pig named Zeppelin left me confused, wondering if there was any real reason for it except to make a clever allusion to Animal Farm. There are actually a number of little in jokes, such as when the sheriff finds a woman's wheelbarrow, that will make the informed reader giggle. Most of them work well. Yet, with even my very minor complaints, this shocker of a novel moves along like a runaway freight train and will please even the most hardened horror fan. I also want to mention the excellent pachaging of this book. Beautiful cover graphics and a paperback binding that speaks of quality makes this a book to buy and own.

And one more thing. You Hollywood movie types should grab the rights to this novel immediately. A generation raised on Charlotte's Web and Babe is craving for a film about a talking homicidal demon pig.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slaughter.

09/02/2009 page 154
49.36% 1 comment
09/03/2009 page 216
69.23% "Please do not let Traci read this!"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathryn O, I didn't see the Traci comment until now!

message 2: by Marvin (last edited Sep 03, 2009 10:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marvin You really need to get this book, Kathryn. It is definitely your cup of tea. Just don't let your kids read it. They will never think of Charlotte's Web the same way again.

Michelle Haha! I definitely want to borrow this book, Marvin. The evil pig reminds me of The Amityville Horror.

Marvin Ah yes. Jody. Homer is a lot scarier.

You can borrow it anytime you want. I can bring it to the next book club meeting if you like.

message 5: by Kathryn (last edited Sep 03, 2009 10:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn Ahhh, I'm so jealous! I wish I lived closer and then I could raid both of your bookshelves!

And as for letting my kids read this, they love Charlotte's web so I wouldn't want to ruin it for them. :)

Nathan drew a zombie yesterday at school (not my fault, I swear it!). I love his school. The teacher just told him good job.

Michelle That would be great Marvin. I'm going to email the new update for the group. We held off on TESLA until the next social, so we can all watch it together.

Kathryn, I wished you lived closer too! I would let you borrow any book you wanted. :)

That's hilarious. Nathan is so funny! You wouldn't believe all the pictures I saw when I taught preschool. Funny stuff! The funniest part is when you have them tell you about their pictures.

message 7: by Marcus (new) - added it

Marcus F. I am willing to speak with ANY film producer about getting SLAUGHTER on the big screen! Yea, its a pipe dream, but I bet it would look fantastic on Blu-Ray disc!

Marcus

message 8: by Marcus (new) - added it

Marcus F. Kathryn wrote: "O, I didn't see the Traci comment until now!

Great review. I would love to read this. Please send me your copy. My address is...just kidding. :)"

IN STOCK at Amazon (nudge, nudge- hint, hint) http://www.amazon.com/Slaughter-Marcu...
It will also help the Amazon sales ranking which is crap right now. Spread the word. Power to the people!

Marcus

Kathryn Hey Marcus, I added it to my amazon cart and will be buying it soon. You caught me at a good time! I'm starting a new job this next week and as my reward/congrats to myself, I'm buying some books that I'll probably take forever to read becaue I'll be busy with work! :) But I always get around to my books and I am looking forward to reading yours. :)