Phil's Reviews > Basic Writings of Nietzsche

Basic Writings of Nietzsche by Friedrich Nietzsche

Aug 12, 11

bookshelves: favorites, my-library, philosophy-and-criticism

It would be impossible to give an actual review to this book. The profundity of all that it contains simply defies any attempt at a concise interpretation. Therefore, I will simply make a minor comment on the edition itself.

This project of this book is invaluable. The scope, depth, and insight provided by the editors and Kaufmann himself are of inestimable importance. It is easy to get lost, even the most robust of readers, in such a compendium, and I thank the editors of this volume for providing that.

Thus the criticism. I feel that a two volume set of ALL of Nietzsche's work should have been attempted. With the possible exception of Zarathustra, I feel that it is more than justified to have in toto the five volumes that this book excerpts from in its section entitled "Seventy-five Aphorisms from Five Volumes." Were one to include these in one volume, and then conclude the second volume with "Twilight of the Idols" and "The Antichrist," I feel they would have provided an even greater contribution to Nietzsche scholarship. It may seem cumbersome to have so much in such little space, but when it comes to translations and editions, consistency of translation and commentary is very beneficial. Even more so, those five volumes excerpted here are not easy to come by, and are often horribly translated.

Nevertheless, a full 5 stars. Whether you hate him or love him, you must read him (which - as Kaufmann points out - most people, even those with heated opinions of him, have not).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Basic Writings of Nietzsche.