Chad's Reviews > Flashforward

Flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer

M 50x66
Aug 10, 09

Read in August, 2009, read count: 2

I read this when it was first published in 2000 (I was 17 or 18), and remember liking it quite a bit. Now that it's being made into a TV series this fall, I wanted to revisit it and see if my perceptions held up.

Now that I've done a bit of growing up, I realize how some sections are a bit clunky - conversations between characters are sometimes really lectures for the benefit of the reader. (Sawyer does this in most of his novels.) But even so, the lectures are so fascinating that I didn't mind this too much.

I also appreciate the 'big questions' the book raises more now than I did then - the nature of destiny, free will, changing one's lot in life, etc.

I'm also a bit more cynical now, and the UN's choice late in the book seems like it comes about far too easily and quickly. :)

Flashforward, the novel, focuses largely on two scientists involved in the titular event. The TV show will hopefully broaden that scope, letting us see the impact of future knowledge on people in more of an everyman role.

Incidentally, it's surreal to read this in 2009. The book is set in '09, but was written in 2000. Back then, '09 was the far off future. Now it's reality. It's sort of fun to see what predictions the author got right and wrong. Most impressively, he got the name of the Pope right!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flashforward.

Karina Huh, I didn't realize the Pope's name was a guess! I guess I figured the book either was very recent or was edited to update some things. Very cool.