Jayme's Reviews > Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned

Y by Brian K. Vaughan

Apr 06, 10

bookshelves: 2010, dystopic-or-apocalyptic, eisner-award, graphic-novel, science-fiction
Read in April, 2010

Great first volume in this series. This is all about the somewhat tacky situation of becoming the last man on earth, but it's done really well. My only complaint is the artist can't draw girl faces, ladies be all looking dude-like. And I can't decide whether it's awesome or lame that he has a pet monkey. I'm leaning toward awesome though, cause who can hate a monkey?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Y.

Alex In quite the comic book phase, huh? Secret confession: I've never really been able to get into Neil Gaiman.

Jayme Have you tried Sandman?

Alex Yep. I can't figure out why I don't love it; everyone who loves the same things I do loves it. Clearly there's something wrong with me.

Jayme Clearly! He's a genius! It's my favourite graphic novel series ever. You should bow down to his greatness. In fact, I can no longer accept any recommendations from someone who doesn't get Sandman.

Alex I wouldn't either, frankly. Of all the things I don't get - and there are a lot - that's one of the most disturbing.

Jayme How many of them did you read?

Alex I don't remember, to be honest. It's been a while. I'm not opposed to trying again at some hazy point in the future. Several, probably?

Jayme You have to try again. Read the third one, I love his short story volumes. And that one in particular starts the Shakespeare storyline.

Alex Shakespeare storyline, you say? Sold.

message 10: by Jayme (last edited Mar 17, 2010 09:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jayme While you're at it, read vol.6 too. It has a killer story about Joshua Norton who I didn't realise was a real person until I googled it afterward. So cool!

message 11: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Monkeys are always awesome.

I'd never thought about all girls looking the same. Huh. I think I kinda see your point though.

Jayme Yeah, they all have big square man jaws. Oh well, it's not a major fault, just one of those things you notice...