Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > Rosemary and Rue

Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire

Rosemary and Rue is well-written urban fantasy. This novel is full of the melancholy. Not what I would call fatalistic or depressing, but instead in touch with the sad, the weary, the timeless angst of the faerie folklore and myths. San Francisco is a beautiful setting for this story, this grand old city of hills, water, and mists. It's not difficult to believe that Faeries would situate their courts in this place. There is something magical to this setting that does half of the world-building in itself. Ms. McGuire very credibly does the rest with her descriptions of the various faerie and changeling denizens. I am no stranger to faerie fiction, but she brought something new to her treatment, describing creatures both achingly beautiful, and horrific, sometimes at the same time. Not to mention their convoluted and ancient rituals sealed in blood and by their words spoken in oaths. When I read books this rich in authentic details, I have trouble doubting that Faerie is real afterall.

It's not fair to compare, but I did feel like October Daye could hang in the Dresden club, with that feel of the ne'er do well, who gets wounded more than her share, much like the wizard from the series by Jim Butcher. Also the fact that her lot in life has lead to losses that she can't slow down to count, or she wouldn't keep moving. This adds to the melancholy vibe of this novel. Nothing excessive, but inherent to this story, like the mists climbing the twisted streets of San Francisco just before dawn. This is not light-hearted, happy-go-lucky urban fantasy. This is the serious kind where you know that October won't come out of this adventure unblemished. But she will be a little wiser, and probably sadder. With faerie, it's expected. That sadness mixed with wonder pulls me back every time. The reason I'll pick up the authentic version of faerie any day over a Disney-style version. (If you need an example, read The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson and give the Disney version a pass). There's a place for Disney, but it doesn't satisfy like the real thing, tears and all.

Rosemary and Rue was a good start to a series. I can see myself become quite captivated with it, due to its rich faerie texture and hint of sadness and sacrifice. I'd recommend it.
19 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rosemary and Rue.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian This series really picks up at book 3.

Stephanie This one looks really good, I'll have to add this to my Amazon wishlist, thanks:)

Stephanie Thanks Lady Danielle. I can't wait to get back to my paranormal books. Almost done with my fantasy read.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I can't stay away from PNR/fantasy very long, much like romance. It keeps pulling me back. LOL!

Stephanie LOL. I'm going to go back to my Mercy Thompson books once I'm done with this lonng read that I started awhile back, I miss my short reads.

message 9: by Lady Jaye (new) - added it

Lady Jaye Great review Lady D! Will move this one up on the TBR.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Lady Jaye. I'll be curious to see what you think of it.

Stephanie I'm enjoying her mythology on wolves. I'm very picky when it comes to my werewolves.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Same here. Nobody does wolves as well as she does, in my opinion!

Stephanie I've found a few YA werewolf books that were fun to read but for my paranormal wolves I'm saving Mercy Thompson for those, eventually I'll go back and finish Alpha and Omega.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I'd read the phonebook if Briggs wrote it.

Stephanie LOL. A friend recommended the New Species series by Laurann Dohner if you haven't read those you might like them, I have them on my kindle but haven't had the chance to read them yet.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) It depends on how erotic they are. I don't like erotic books. If they are around Kresley Cole, JR Ward, or Christine Feehan steam, I can handle it. If it's more like Lora Leigh, that's too much for me.

Stephanie Not sure, I know they have erotic scenes. I'm not big on erotic scenes either, I can handle a few scenes here and there but I like a good book that works its way around the characters.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Let me know what you think when you read it. If it's not too erotic, I'll give them a try.

Stephanie I'll let ya know, I'm trying to finish up some series I already started for this year though. I might see how the first book is.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I know what you mean. I have so many series I am behind on.

Stephanie I know, I think I have around 5-6 series started. The biggest one has 12 books with close to 800pgs a piece. No deadline to get those done and read, just my smaller faster reads.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) They multiply like rabbits, or so it seems.

Stephanie I know and the 12 book series I'm reading in paperback, I just found out the arthor is writing another presequel series to the one I'm already reading. Urgh. Do you recommended reading On the Prowl by Briggs before you start the Alapha and Omega series? I was kinda lost in the first book.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I definitely think you should read the prequel first. Plus it's so good!

Stephanie Thanks. I'll have to go back and read that one and maybe reread the first Alpha and Omega book.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I think it does clarify a few elements if you start with the prequel.

Stephanie I'll have to check them out. :) I think I have On The Prowl in my Amazons wishlist, I'll restart the Alpha and Omega series once I'm done with the Mercy Thompson series.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) If you have a Kindle, you can buy the short story as a separate ebook now on Amazon.

Stephanie I do have one actually.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Cool! I think it's like $2.99 for Alpha and Omega. I have the On the Prowl book, but I went ahead and bought the ebook too.

Stephanie I think that was the one I was looking at. I still think it's in my Amazons wishlist. I'll have to double check, I think I have about 10pgs in my wishlist.

Stephanie LOL, yeah but I wonder how many books you have in archives.

Stephanie LOL, I know the feeling. Last I checked I had well close to 300 but I haven't put my wifi on for the last few days. I'm to afraid to.

Also, I was wondering if you read these werewolf books by Alice Borchardt? I think the first book is called Silver Wolf. Recently found out she's Anne Rice's older sister.

Marcia 7044732
Marcia Meara For my money, this is one of the best Urban Fantasy series out there. It's at least in my Top Ten. It's another series where each book gets better and better...more complex, more entertaining, and more fun. The politics of the Fae are so well constructed, and Toby is a plucky heroine, even if she can be pretty blind at times, regarding who is REALLY looking out for her best interests. I predict your enjoyment of the series will grow as you get farther into it. Some of the characters are absolutely unforgettable...and then there is Tybalt, King of Cats. Aaah. Tybalt. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, he's my kind of Supe!

As for the comparisons to the Dresden Files (which, btw, is in my Top Five favorite Urban Fantasy series), there are definitely some similarities, but Toby's world really centers on the Fae, where Dresden is an equal opportunity monster fest.

Can't wait to see what you think as things get more and more complicated.(less)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks for the insight on the series, Marcia. Based on what you're saying, I think this will be a winning series for me. I like Tybalt a lot already!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Stephanie wrote: "LOL, I know the feeling. Last I checked I had well close to 300 but I haven't put my wifi on for the last few days. I'm to afraid to.

Also, I was wondering if you read these werewolf books by Ali..."

Stephanie, I have The Silver Wolf and maybe another one. It's on my bookshelf in my room, staring at me. I need to read faster!