Greg Zink's Reviews > The Enormous Egg

The Enormous Egg by Oliver Butterworth

Aug 14, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in August, 2009

Yes, I know, this is a kids book and I am an adult, but I picked it up the other night and couldn't stop until I finished it. The Enormous Egg was probably my favorite book when I was growing up, so I really enjoyed going back to it and finding I still loved it. The storyline is simple but beautiful, the writing is concise yet evocative, the illustrations are gorgeous and the emotion is vivid. And all that for a story about a boy and a dinosaur!

Like I said before, the storyline is really simple - a boy in New Hampshire finds an enormous egg in the henhouse, which ends up hatching into a baby triceratops. Nate then has to deal with everyone's interest in his unique "pet," from scientists to politicians to his own family. Over the course of the book he becomes close to the dinosaur, leading up to an emotional denouement. Although the plot is firmly set in the 1950s, the characters feel real and it is still as great a story today.

As a child, I loved this book because I would have been thrilled with a real pet triceratops, but rereading it I see that there were a bunch of really good lessons beneath the surface about responsibility and standing up for what you believe in. It's a cute concept done really well, and I think I enjoyed it just as much or even more today than I did way back when.

As a last side note, if you've read this book and are in Washington DC, make a point to stop by the National Zoo. Believe me, it will be worth it!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enormous Egg.

08/10/2009 page 90
47.87% "I love this book. Just picked it up last night to read a few pages, and now I'm halfway. :)"
08/12/2009 page 150
79.79% "Man, I really really love this book. Probably my favorite book growing up, and it's still great"