Tracy's Reviews > The Penny Pinchers Club

The Penny Pinchers Club by Sarah Strohmeyer

Aug 13, 09

Read in August, 2009

** spoiler alert ** It seems fitting that a book about pinching your pennies would come out nowadays, with the economy crap like it is. I don't have a job now, and neither do 3 or 4 of my friends, so naturally the title caught my eye. And it seemed to have a bit of an "easy read" look to it - a beach read to be read though I'm not at the beach. It also appeared a bit chick-lit-y which I don't mind in the summertime.

It started out fine... woman thinks husband is going to leave her, but she has a HUUUUGE spending habit, so she has no money of her own. If he leaves her, she'll be broke.

So the woman (Kat) transforms to a Penny Pincher by joining a club of thrifty folks; a group she previously shunned & made fun of.

What is hardest to believe about this book (and why I gave it a 2) is Kat's immediate transformation. She went from spending and shopping to dumpster diving. What? She cut out cable, traded her car, and did other cost-saving things that seem like they would be hard to do cold turkey.

But, she saves her money ($13,000 in just a few months) and is prepared to leave her husband, whom she believes is having an affair with a woman from his office. But, like most books this genre, things don't end up like you initially presume they will.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Penny Pinchers Club.