KarenH's Reviews > Darkling I Listen

Darkling I Listen by Katherine Sutcliffe

Aug 11, 09

bookshelves: audiobooks-that-rock, not-to-die-for-but-enjoyable, audiobook
Read in August, 2009

Whew! If you can handle a 16-hour rollercoaster ride of intense romantic suspense, then plug into this audiobook. Talk about tortured heroes! Brandon Carlyle makes Zsadist from the BDB and Zarek from the DH look like Brady boys. The gorgeous Hollywood icon experiences more than his fair share of BAAAAD luck, as the story begins shortly after his release from a 3yr prison stint for manslaughter. He semi-retires to his little Texas hometown for some much-needed R&R, where the townspeople do a good job of keeping his whereabouts a secret...from all but the feisty, camera-toting reporter, who, perched high in a tree clicking away...slips and falls right on top of Brandon's head. So begins their volatile relationship that is rife with misunderstandings, mistrust, angry men, jealous women and a "Play Misty for Me"-type stalker named "Anticipating". However, as awful as it seems, their relationship develops into a believable bond of love. The over-all story is more suspense than romance but the love scenes are well-developed & unhurried...lending credibility to the strength of the love between Brandon and Alyson. I would have given DIL 5* because it really is a well-executed piece of work, but I thought it was wayyyy too long. The story peaks at 13 hours, but the bad "guy" isn't done scaring the bejeebees out of you and continues to effectively do so for another 3 hours. Geez...I'm so out of my element here. Must.get.back.to.historicals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkling I Listen.