Jay Daze's Reviews > Quarantine

Quarantine by Jim Crace

Aug 16, 09

liked it
Read in August, 2009

Giving things up, making a sacrifice to better oneself -- the idea that the spirit benefits from the renunciation of the merely physical. Five characters go into the wilderness - each one seeking something. But a warning, one of them is named Jesus.

(I should insert here that I picked this up cold at the book store and didn't realize that Jesus was going to be a character in the book. Historical personages as main characters in novels usually give me a pain, but I enjoyed Crace's language so I continued on.)

Yup, the big J himself makes his presence felt in this novel and by the second half pretty much takes over, which is a shame because I thought the rest of the characters and their own small scale struggles were pretty interesting. Crace tries to batten down Jesus, make him a confused, idealistic, romantic young man -- but Jesus Christ! he's Jesus and all the accumulated tradition of Christendom pretty much swamps what happens with the young Galilean. At a certain point I was shaking my head because the novel reminded me of the latest Star Trek reboot -- will Crace mess with the traditional time-line and let J die in his cave or will he let J live to complete what happens in the original series (you know those books in the bible). Well, he does a little of both, but really all this wiggling spoiled what would have been a stronger book about the lost souls in the other caves, nasty the Merchant who exploits them and his abused wife Miri.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quarantine.

08/10/2009 page 31
12.11% "Hey, Jesus showed up about 10 pages ago! Don't you just hate it when that happens?"
08/10/2009 page 40
15.63% "Intro'd to the other four Qs, Marta (thinks she's infertile), blonde Shim (searching for Tranquility), Alpas (come to die)& badu villiager."
08/10/2009 page 61
23.83% ""Musa's adolescent, reedy voice" A spoiled brat full of lust for Marta and greed for others gold. Master bargainer..."
08/10/2009 page 75
29.3% "Jesus' question for the wilderness: "You see these motes of dust...these fingertips engraved with tiny lines? What for, and why?""
08/10/2009 page 76
29.69% "J has expected Gd to smooth the way for him, this is his introduction to the hardness of the world?"
08/10/2009 page 77
30.08% "J wonders: is this the edge of god's unfinished universe? Was there god? Was this the devil's realm."
08/10/2009 page 83
32.42% "*g* They just threw a dead donkey at Jesus! And he was hoping for a companion, a guide..."
08/11/2009 page 112
43.75% "J sees: "Here was a devil then, sent to the wilderness...attended by four mad unbelonging souls to be adversaries to god.""
08/11/2009 page 112
43.75% "I don't think we're supposed to take Jesus' words as gospel...at least not the character Jesus in this book."
08/13/2009 page 159
62.11% "Double chapters with J. His body's descent - him realizing how stupid to try 40 days with water or food. But trapped on the ledge."
08/14/2009 page 212
82.81% "*SPOILER* So J the man dies and the glowy J goes off to be the son of god? Rather suspected I was going into the metaphorically-mystic."