Tina's Reviews > My Imaginary Ex

My Imaginary Ex by Mina V. Esguerra

May 11, 10

bookshelves: 2009, 2010, filipino, chick-lit, romance
Read in May, 2010, read count: 2

The characters in this novel were strong and unique, each of them having a different voice, even if it’s just a minor character. The supporting characters, Lena and Marjorie, were fun, and convincing, while Kimmy, the main antagonist, was just as hateful. The story was painted over a setting that was very believable, and I could actually imagine where they went at this party or

I think the strength of My Imaginary Ex is not just in its characters, but in how the story was told. The jumps back in time is enough to show us how Jasmine and Zack’s friendship grew, and how he met his exes and how things changed. The transitions between the past and present were straightforward so it wouldn’t leave you wondering where you are in the novel’s time line. And I absolutely loved it when Jasmine came to an epiphany — I felt like I was with Lena and Marjorie, heaving a sigh of relief when Jasmine finally agreed to their plan.

My Imaginary Ex is the type of story where you’ll find yourself rooting for the characters to get together in the end, because if they don’t…well, what’s the use? While I didn’t really liked a particular scene in the book (sorry, I’m just conservative, I guess), the ending was still very satisfying, and would make you want a Zack of your own. I know I did.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Imaginary Ex.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by Mina (new) - added it

Mina Esguerra While I didn’t really liked a particular scene in the book (sorry, I’m just conservative, I guess)

This is my favorite part of your review. :) I think I know what you're talking about, and that happens to be my favorite (what does that say about me?) but I'm glad that it didn't bother you that much!

message 3: by K.D. (last edited Jul 20, 2010 09:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Tina, you are kidding me! That is also my favorite part of the book! ha ha

Mina, part of the reason why I liked that scene is that I did not see it coming. Jasmine and Zach had been alone together so many times - in Zach's car, in the movies, etc. So, I was already becoming disappointed and frankly a bit bored. Then the morning kiss... then that part.

I mean looking at your face here in Goodreads, I was not expecting that you would write that part. You look too wholesome! ha ha

Again, well done! I'm a fan!

Tina I liked how it was written and how it was the climax to all of their encounters (I remember uttering "Finally!" when I got to that part), but I guess I'm really just not into unmarried couples doing it. Beliefs and such. Did that make sense? Haha. :D

K.D. Absolutely Yes, it makes sense. I am now looking forward to seeing you. Interesting! ha ha