Kate Pierson's Reviews > Brideshead Revisited: The Sacred and Profane Memories of Captain Charles Ryder

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

203364
Aug 16, 09

bookshelves: 2009, love-the-setting, england, classics, historical
Read in August, 2009

Beautifully, beautifully written, and it really got me thinking about English history and also religion. I'm glad I read Brideshead Revisited. It only gets four stars, though, because the characters are not at all lovable. Way too much moping for my taste.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brideshead Revisited.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Yeah, that's about what I'd give it. I read it in 2002. Saw the movie and most of the miniseries. I liked that it became a soldier refuge in ww 2.

Here's my write-up. Yes, I am this person. :).

Read it July 19, 2002.

--Found it at one of the book sales at Binghamton University Library. Pretty much liked it. Loved Sebastian and his response to Charles's love of the chapel: "Who cares who made it if it's pretty?" Also good was his bit with his injury. Loved their time in Venice and the halycon days of Oxford. Some of Charles's responses to his father were amusing and vice versa.
--I liked Julia. I was a bit annoyed with the fact she looks so much like Sebastian, so Charles's transferring his love for S. to J.And when he marries his wife, it's so unromantic and quick.
--Was sad when Sebastian leaves for Africa and the line "I'm the saddest person in Oxford as Sebastian's been sent down."Still wounds me.
--The prose is overwrought and I tend to agree with Jeff that Charles is a dry prick.
--Felt sorry for Julia in parts and sort of liked when Julia and Charles get together.
--Thought the end was anticlimactic with the father recanting and the whole debate whether he would or wouldn't was dull.
--Still, there were some good lines about how the house was formed and hwo lived there before. Passing on the traditions and such. Still, it was fun Edwardian stuff. And the bit at the end where Brideshead is now a haven for the soliders and the liight is a symbol of hope for them isn't too bad. I mostly liked the beginning.
--Seminal (no pun intended) piece of British Literature.
--Makes me want to sip scotch on the porch. Had to xerox some of the pages which was a bit annoying