Buck's Reviews > A Voice from the Chorus

A Voice from the Chorus by Abram Tertz

Sep 07, 09

bookshelves: russians, in-captivity
Read in September, 2009

I know what you're thinking. 'Another gulag memoir, dude? Really?' But this isn't that kind of book at all. True, the author just happened to spend some time in a Soviet detention facility and just happened to write a book about it, but there the similarities end. This is way, way different from all those other prison memoirs. You can't even call it a prison memoir, really. A more accurate genre designation might be: recollections of a not-happy time in a very not-good place. See, totally different.

Yep. I've got some things to sort out. Personal-type things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Voice from the Chorus.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sparrow (new) - added it

Sparrow At least we know you're mixing it up with some 30 Rock. Otherwise we'd have to stage an e-intervention.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio A really interesting musician's life-story is that of Leon Theremin. He was imprisioned in a Soviet work camp for seven years. I haven't read this book yet, but am familiar with his life through other resources, namely the great documentary film Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey. Look him up--it's a fascinating story about the foundation of electronic instruments, rebelling against racism in the 30's (by marrying a black woman, prevailing social pressures be damned), motion sensor technology, Stalinism, inventions of whole new sounds, the related life of theremin-virtuoso Clara Rockmore, "Good Vibrations", Cold War paranoia, and more.

This might be a nice way to ease out of your perceived Gulag-based literature addiction. This involves the Gulag but it's hardly the centerpiece of the story.

Buck I've been clean and sober, Gulag-wise, for two whole days now. I really think I'm going to beat this thing.

message 4: by Sparrow (new) - added it

Sparrow As long as you're not sneaking it, I think we're okay. No shame here.