Sarah's Reviews > The Memory Keeper's Daughter

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

Apr 10, 2007

it was ok

This is one of those books that I always see people reading in parks and on the subway, and I just want to shout at them, "Save yourself! There's still time to quit reading!"

Really, it's one of those books that has an interesting premise/situation, but doesn't go anywhere. The interesting premise is this: a couple has twins and the father sneaks away with the one twin who has Downs Syndrome. The mother doesn't know about this baby and it's raised by the father's coworker. You're interested, right? Well, watch out, because after the initial birth scene, which is good, nothing happens for 200 pages. The author drags you through the book, dangling the moment that the mother finds out about her daughter in front of you.

If this had been an actual good, daring book, it would have started at the point where the mother finds out about her long-lost daughter. Instead, it ends there. Cop out! Waste of time! Emotionally empty!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory Keeper's Daughter.

03/01/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Nikki (last edited Dec 12, 2007 10:04PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikki you make me laugh- SO HARD!!!

Nikki Once again your review is dead on!

chucklesthescot I liked the first few chapters and then as you said, nothing interesting happened! Could Paul be more annoying??? The whole Rosemary thing just bored me and Norah was a pain in the rear end. I regretted ploughing on through the book as far as I did...

Anthea Ilpide excellent! my sentiments exactly!

message 5: by Dawn (new) - rated it 1 star

Dawn Mcneil I'm 3/4 my way through the book, and I completely agree with your review. I'm debating stopping reading it right now, but I feel like I must finish it since I've already gotten this far ugh

Kiley Ditto this comment. Exactly how I felt about it. I stopped reading about 75 pages in and skimmed through the rest to see if it would be worth the treck. I decided it was not.

Rhonnie My thoughts exactly! I was so on board with the premise and it went nowhere. And when Caroline DID show up on her doorstep, it was like, really? Talk about anticlimactic! She didn't even seem like she was going to tell her, and suddenly here she is. I would've preferred a more suspenseful reveal, like she discovered the letters in David's studio, SOMETHING.