Jessica's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

202724
Oct 15, 09

bookshelves: humor, literaryfiction
Read in August, 2009

A hilarious concept, and well done from a technical standpoint. I started to have trouble towards the end, though, because it was just too . . . grotesque. Mr. Darcy and Lizzie had both been changed to make them too bloodthirsty. It's one thing to be able to kill a zombie with your bare hands (or katana), but it's another for Mr. Darcy to purposefully beat Wickham until he's a quadriplegic. And Lizzie was really almost mannish, something which is starting to get to me in movie adaptations as well. Because she turns down Mr. Collins and Mr. Darcy (neither of whom she cares for at the time) she's being interpreted as either bitchy or overly masculine. No, she's a girl holding out for love! Where's the romance? I did love the rivalry in this book between Japanese training and Chinese training, and the fact that Pemberly, and all other stately homes, were in the Asian mode. But when had the plague started? And would they ever see the end? Fun at first, I found this ultimately a bit gross and unsatisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leigh Statham Ahhh.. I can't wait to read this one! Can't wait to hear what you think either. Must pick it up this week.

Kirk It's a really fun read. And you can't beat the awesome illustrations (of horrific zombie violence). I wish Grahame-Smith had taken more liberties in switching up the story.

message 3: by Miss Clark (new)

Miss Clark Hmm, interesting... I am not sure if I want to bother with it or not.

message 4: by Stacey (new) - added it

Stacey This is exactly what a friend of mine thought of the book too. Thanks for the review! There has been so much postitive buzz about this book, I think it is good to see the other side. And I hate to break it to your friend Kirk...but the illustrations were horrible...not because they were gory, but because the illustrator knew nothing of Regency era dress. They look like Anne of Green Gables gone mad.

message 5: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Larson I am the friend that Stacey is referring to, and I have to say I am glad someone else feels the way I do about this book! Great, honest review. Thanks!

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) By now you are all probably aware that there is a prequel to P&P and Zombies, called "Dawn of the Dreadfuls". If you decide to read it, Jessica, I think all of your questions just might be answered in it. I'll be writing a review of it for luxuryreading.com slated for March 3rd. In the meantime, I'm finishing up P&P and Zombies, and have pretty much come to the same conclusions. I too wish more liberties had been taken with the original story. Reading this is just making me want to toss this one aside and read the real Pride and Prejudice.