Mollysusie's Reviews > The Distant Echo

The Distant Echo by Val McDermid

Aug 09, 09

Read in June, 2009

I admit, I did not get very far into this book. It begins with the introductory of four characters, all teenage boys. Each of these boys also has a nickname based on a member of a 60s band (p.s. I was not alive in the 60s so I am not familiar with this band or its members) that comes from a characteristic of their personality. These nicknames were used indiscriminately and interchangeably with their real names.

I felt like I needed a spreadsheet to keep these characters straight. I work with spreadsheets all day, I'm not creating one for a book. I'm going to put that book down and pick up another one. Which is what I did.

I am kind of bummed though. I've read one other Val McDermid novel, A Place of Execution, and really enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Distant Echo.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Linzi This review is inaccurate and whilst I have critcisms (and praise) for the book myself i really think you were having a bad day. I honestly think you'll find that both Dave Bowie (from who's Ziggy Stardust song) 3 of the boys take their nickname and Pink Floyd who's Shine on you crazy Diamond gives us the 4th nickname are still alive, well and on the iTunes charts thats the CURRENT chart. So I think it's fair to say that your peeves say more about you than the book itself.