F.R.'s Reviews > Up Till Now

Up Till Now by William Shatner

Aug 11, 09

The satirical magazine ‘Private Eye’ is well known, in its book pages, for slagging off every book it comes near. Letters have appeared asking which books its reviewers actually like. The answer to that question maybe became a bit clearer last year when it actually published two positive reviews – one for Paul O’Grady’s memoirs and one for William Shatner’s. (In fact ‘Private Eye’ is quoted on the back of the UK paperback edition.) So perhaps the answer to the question is autobiographies of men of a certain age, or perhaps the reviewer had just started going soft. Either way letters started arriving asking what the hell was going on with the positive reviews, after all the readers weren’t looking at the book pages for praise.

Having now read one of these books I have to say it’s an odd one to break any tradition of negativity. For a start it doesn’t feel like a proper book that someone has actually written, it’s more like Shatner dictated it to a lackey sat chained to a desk. The rambling nature of it also makes me wonder whether the editor was similarly chained up somewhere. And to be honest I’ve never read any volume that was so assiduous in trying to persuade me to buy items from the author’s website.

However I will say that there are some laugh out loud moments in this book and so I cannot give it a completely negative review. Although if I was well known for given one star to everything I read, i doubt I would break that rule for this particular memoir.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up Till Now.