Kimberley's Reviews > Remedies

Aug 09, 09

Recommended to Kimberley by: ARC copy from Goodreads
Recommended for: everyone
Read in August, 2009, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I am one of the fortunate readers to receive an advanced copy of Remedies by Kate Ledger through Goodreads.com. It took me a scant two days to read it because I found it difficult to put down.
The story is driven by its well fleshed characters. It took me in from the first few pages. I felt as though I was living in the heads of the main characters, privy to their most intimate fears, longings and shortcomings.
I have known people who have been rocked to their core by the tragic death of a child. They either pull together or break apart. The Bears began a dance of avoidance from the moment Caleb died. Emily stowed her grief away and tried to ignore it like the plastic box marked ‘Baby’ shelved in her basement. Simon expected her wrath and abandonment from the onset. Her announcement of a separation almost sixteen years later came almost as a relief from the expectation of a punishment long overdue. His avoidance technique was to dive into work and impulsive projects like a zealot. Their daughter, Jamie, became the real loser, ignored emotionally and unable to compete with the ghost of a baby brother who died before she was born. I loved the way it ended. It is left for the reader to decide if there is any hope at all for this family to bond.
I will definitely be recommending this book to both of my book clubs. There will be much to talk about with this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Remedies.