Ira Bespalova's Reviews > The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman

The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne

Aug 30, 09

bookshelves: didn-t-enjoy, expected-it-to-be-better, had-to-read
Read in August, 2009

I've heard a lot about this book. So that when I started reading it, I expected it to be a really good thing. But frankly speaking I didn't enjoy it at all. I'd been waiting for some interesting moments till the end. But I hardly found any! Perhaps,my fault was that I didn't dare to read the book in original. I know that there are a lot of word games in English version, which can not be translated into any other languages. So that maybe some of Sterene's jokes weren't digested by me.
I didn't understand the idea of the book. I got used to the books with a well-structured plot without any philosophical digression. I know it's too shallow of me to do so but that's me!:)
Sterne's text is filled with allusions and references to the leading thinkers and writers of the 17th and 18th centuries like Pope, Locke, and Swift. And being not familiar with them it was hard to follow the writer's thoughts.
My favorite character though was Uncle Toby who resembles Don Quixote in many ways (and Don Quixote is one of my beloved protagonists in the whole literature).
I know it's a good book and all. And I have nobody to blame but myself and my taste in particular for not appreciating it...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman.

08/14/2009 page 30
08/23/2009 page 300
51.02% "I think I don't quite understand it the way I should..At least until now.."
show 2 hidden updates…