Judith's Reviews > Admission

F 50x66
Aug 09, 2009

liked it
Read in July, 2009

A friend-coworker at the library recommended this book to me, and it definitely is a page-turner. Fiction, of course, but apparently based on real-life experience of the author as a reader in the admissions office of Princeton University. So much behind-the-scenes information and activity - I learned a lot about the complexity and challenges of the process, both for the school and for the students applying for admission. Alongside the ongoing description of why-when-how-what of Admission to an Ivy League university (perhaps too much... the feeling of information overload was hovering throughout), the personal story of the young woman protagonist kept me reading; and the side stories of other characters and relationships that affected her life were equally interesting. So many of us could well relate to the way she had meandered in her career into a state of "my job is my life," and then of course to the inevitable result (sooner or later) on those closest to us. I'd have given the story itself four stars, but I thought the overload of admissions process and policy description became wearisome and took away from the basic story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Admission.