Janelle Dazzlepants's Reviews > Witch Week

Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones

Sep 02, 09

bookshelves: from-my-childhood, fantasy, magic, wizards, witches
Read in September, 2009

I know it looks like I took FOREVER to read this book, butI just put the book down for a couple of weeks when I got busy with uni, and then only now just got around to finishing it off XD

This book was super adorable, though I have to admit it was my least favourite of the Chrestomanci books so far. I suppose another factor in my leaving it for so long, was that it tended to drag on in parts - it's funny how such a short book can seem so long >_> I would grow tired everytime I tried to resume reading it, so I guess that's an indication of how much of a page turner it is (not).

The main premise about this book, is that in a world where witchcraft is illegal and they burn witches, someone in a boarding school leaves an anonymous note for their teacher, saying that someone is a witch. Funny things start to happen, and a 288 page book somehow manages to drag on and on as the reader ponders who the witch might possibly be.

Then you find out who the witch is, and the focus of the plot shifts to resolving what's wrong with this particular world. I wont spoil it, but I just thought it was so odd that the whole 'omg who is the witch?' theme was drawn out for so long, and then with the arrival of Chrestomanci, the focus shifts completely to something bigger and better.

Though the focus comes back to the witch's identity at the end, and all the loose ends are tied up quite nicely, I feel like the pacing of this book could be a fair bit better. Maybe it's just exaggerated in my mind because I put it down for so long, but this book could have been awesome if Chrestomanci had shown up a little earlier.

That being said, the character development was quite wonderful, and Diana Wynne Jones really gives you reasons for loving and hating each kid in 6B :P I don't think I'll be re-reading it again, but I'd suggest reading it just to get an insight into how the world-splits can happen, and what can go wrong.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witch Week.

08/08/2009 page 1
08/17/2009 page 34
11.81% "I am taking so long to finish this :( it's boring. FML"
08/29/2009 page 134
46.53% "Fuck I need to keep reading this :( I havent had time/been in the mood"
09/01/2009 page 168
58.33% "Need to finish this. Havent picked it up in ages XD"
09/02/2009 page 288
100.0% "Omg so cute, why did I put this down for so long?"