Kris's Reviews > A Promise Kept

Aug 08, 2009

bookshelves: the-tasting-from-my-blog

The Tasting:

Why I bought it:

I was glomming on that name. :)

Dislike/like (ending on a high note):

Dislike~ I was cringing with some of the emoness of the first couple of chapters of this book. I almost tossed it aside in disgust when the brave and determined Mason, who after finally deciding to get a life, goes on a binge and then runs away back home. What the hell?? I was glad I stuck with it in the end, but Holy Crap did I have a few issues with the beginning of the story!

Like~ So after the return, Mason comes out to his folks who already knew, finds a set of gay friends and, strangely enough, learns how to be gay. O_O It is actually a lot more convincing than it sounds – it's pretty cute really - with Mason gaining confidence and learning to stand up for himself.

Dislike~ A stalker and an interfering family member?? Gee, these sound a bit familiar.

Like~ Loved Mason’s circle of friends. They were a seriously funny sarcastic crew and very supportive of Mason as were his Mum and Dad. All in all, a great cast of characters.

So, what I think:

Despite the beginning and some familiar tropes, overall it worked and I did like this story. Fun, relatively uncomplicated characters, a decent story and good writing with lots of humour. Recommended bedtime reading.

=============================================

‘Tasting’ is my version of a mini-review where I talk a (very) little about what I liked and disliked about a book as well as who I think the story will appeal to. Oh, and I’ve added a bit about why I picked up the book in the first place – sometimes this can be interesting to know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Promise Kept.