Kris's Reviews > Angels of the Deep

Angels of the Deep by Kirby Crow

Aug 08, 2009

bookshelves: m-m-romance, dark-fantasy, some-recommended-reads, the-tasting-from-my-blog

The Tasting:

Why I bought it:

A combination of the cover, the blurb and the author.

Dislike/like (ending on a high note):

Dislike~ More of a warning than a dislike... I am familiar with the Nephilim (the children of the ‘Sons of God’ and the ‘Daughters of Humans’) and therefore was quick to catch on to the main premise of the story, which, as the blurb says, is the hunting of the Nephilim by the Angel Mastema. It’s not essential to have an in depth knowledge of Nephilim, but a certain amount did help me to better understand the nuances of Angels of the Deep. Along these lines, some back story and flashbacks appear throughout the book to assist with the development of the story. Take notice of them. They are important!

Like~ This is dark fantasy, my friends. Not everything is as it seems and bad stuff happens (a lot) to people; some of which is quite graphic including murder and references to rape and to child abuse. Not a pleasant afternoon’s reading by any stretch of the imagination. So why the heck is this a like?? I LOVE good dark fantasy, that’s why. *G*

Dislike~ Being very, very honest, this story contains a cast of characters, who are very difficult to like, especially the main character Brett. He is a bit of a bastard, un/caring, cold/hot, a prick to his estranged wife, hovering on the brink of an affair with a man, and more often than not seemingly detached/inhuman. I thought he was a total wanker and then the big reveal happened and all became clear(er). This – and subsequent revelations – did make me feel more sympathetic to Brett in the end.

Like~ Twist upon twist upon twist upon twist. Other than the fact that I figured more people were going to die (prob’ly quite gruesomely) I had no idea where the plot was going and what was going to happen next. I love it when an author keeps you guessing, don’t you. ;)

So, what I think:

This will definitely NOT be everyone’s cuppa. For those of you who, like me, enjoy dark fantasy with a strong dash of mystery, GET IT. It’s an engrossing story which has the added bonus of being written by the talented Kirby Crow, who never fails to impress.

============================================

‘Tasting’ is my version of a mini-review where I talk a (very) little about what I liked and disliked about a book as well as who I think the story will appeal to. Oh, and I’ve added a bit about why I picked up the book in the first place – sometimes this can be interesting to know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels of the Deep.