Kris's Reviews > Like Coffee and Doughnuts

Apr 10, 2010

bookshelves: the-tasting-from-my-blog

My Tasting:

Why I bought it:

Elle Parker was interviewed by Wave (http://www.reviewsbyjessewave.com/?p=744) and I liked the sound of this book from what she said.

Dislike/like (ending on a high note):

Dislike~ Or a warning~ Whilst reading this I was frequently reminded of the tropes used in old school PI novels or films. At the time, I wondered if this might be something that other readers would find cheesy or contrived. I personally didn’t because I thought the author was being a bit tongue-in-cheek; however, there may be some who won’t like this aspect of the story.

Like~ Loved the snappy dialogue between the two main characters in Like Coffee and Doughnuts. Loved. It. I think I’d actually forgotten how much I enjoyed good, witty dialogue until I read this. One of the best things about it is that it is pretty much maintained throughout the book. You know how some author’s seem to lose momentum? It doesn’t happen in this.

Dislike~ Another warning~ Those of you who have issues with best friends falling for each other or (kind of) GFY themes than stay away from this book. I can immediately think of one person *peering across the oceans and continents to Leeds* who will probably get a kick out of it. For those of you who sit on the fence when it comes to these themes, let me just say that I found it extremely convincing.

Like~ I really liked the characters of Seth and Dino. These boys were well developed and just great fun all round. I think one of the reasons why I found them so engaging was because the author successfully conveyed their standing as long time friends, complete with banter, acceptance, comfortableness (it is SO a word – I looked it up) and love.

So, what I think:

A solid, enjoyable read from both romance and mystery perspectives by this new-to-me author. I will definitely be trying more of her work in the future.

============================================================

‘Tasting’ is my version of a mini-review where I talk a (very) little about what I liked and disliked about a book as well as who I think the story will appeal to. Oh, and I’ve added a bit about why I picked up the book in the first place – sometimes this can be interesting to know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Coffee and Doughnuts.