K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > The Giver

Jan 11, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: dystopian, childrens
Recommended to K.D. by: some of my Goodread friends rated this with 5 stars
Recommended for: Jillian (how were you able to submit that book report?)
Read from January 08 to 10, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This book is almost indescribably beautiful. It is comparable to the beauty of George Orwell's classic 1984. It is about the world in "sameness" when there are no more differences among its people, there are no more colors, no more music and people do not know what love is. Above all, it is a story of relationships between the Giver (who keeps the memories of those days pre-sameness) and the Receiver (who receives those memories). During the first part of the book, the main child protagonist, 12-year old Jonas is the Receiver. On the latter part, he is the Giver to a 1-year old Gabriel.

This is neither 1001 nor 501 although a winner of John Newberry Medal award. However, this is as beautiful if not more deserving that some of them that made those lists.

I bought this from Fullybooked 4 years ago when my daughter Jillian was looking for a book to report. I recommended this as the book is thin and it has that golden stamp bearing the Newberry seal. I kept on telling myself that I would read this soon but failed to do so until the Filipino group asked for nominations for January 2010 YM Theme and thought of nominating this so I would be forced to finally give it a go. It lost to Suzanne Collin's THE HUNGER GAMES. I also really liked that book but this one is just amazing!
35 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.

05/20 marked as: read

Jinky I enjoyed this book as well. Hmmm, I'll have to check out 1984 then. BTW, I heard that this book was on a banned list ...I certainly don't see why. I'll have to check into that more later.

K.D. Absolutely Banned? Are they kidding? This book is everywhere here in the Philippines: brand new, second hand, etc. I have Book 2 already (maybe, I told you that already) but I am just waiting for the right time. Maybe when I encounter a really bad book.

message 3: by Joyzi (last edited Nov 09, 2010 02:49AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joyzi KD huhuhu I just finished reading it and I don't like it.

I really don't understand the book at all, can you explain what happen in the ending?

*bangs my head on the wall*

Tintin Just finished the book yesterday. It also reminded me of 1984, though it's different from Orwell's classic. The ideas in the book just about blew my mind. I have mixed feelings about the ending, though. I wish Lowry gave it more closure!

message 5: by Tricia (new) - added it

Tricia Reading this now and I thought I'm crazy for comparing this book to Orwell's 1984 (which I just read). Well, I'm not alone :D

Sydney You can NOT compare this to 1984. 1984 was a warning against communism, and ultimately, fascism and you can see outright that the world depicted is horrid with it's terrible irony (ministry of love, ministry of plenty, doublethink, ect.). Alright, so they both have limitation of speech (precision of language vs. Newspeak) but 1984 really shows how controlling the government is of their subjects, how the gov. uses war and shortages to control their subjects, and how they constantly war against neighboring nations. The Giver and the community's relations to neighboring communities? Goddamn field trips. I'm not saying The Giver is bad, but you ultimately can't compare the two. Winston from 1984 is a more accurate portrayal of the human mind than Jonas is. I actually related to Winston, sort of.

Flora (Win-chester.) Uh... Political speech? Lol.
Just chill, Sydney.
I like the endings. But, oh well...

Fleur its was ok... a little bit boring and dragging but the last part was surprising.

K.D. Absolutely I agree, Pansy. Thanks. Thank you too Sydney, Tricia and MyNameisFlora-Nice (what a name haha).

Cecelia I finished this book today. I still wish more had been explained. The ending didn't finish. Were Jonas and Gabriel able to find peace and solace in their new environment? Had they even found a new environment, or, was this just a figment (the lights and singing) of Jonas's memories? Also, I wanted to know more about that community from where Jonas escaped. What was the deal with that? How could his community not experience snow or sunshine or colors, or birds or animals, yet, when Jonas rides away on his bike for uncountless hours, he sees, hears, smells these forbidden seasons/things elsewhere? Was Jonas's community somehow shut out from the rest of the world? How do you shut out sunshine and snow? I enjoyed the book a lot, but, felt there were too many unanswered questions.

message 11: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Cecelia wrote: "I finished this book today. I still wish more had been explained. The ending didn't finish. Were Jonas and Gabriel able to find peace and solace in their new environment? Had they even found a new ..."

I think this is just the first of the series. Those questions are answered in the next books. However, I just did not have the urge to look for those. I just stopped.

Cecelia K.D. wrote: "Cecelia wrote: "I finished this book today. I still wish more had been explained. The ending didn't finish. Were Jonas and Gabriel able to find peace and solace in their new environment? Had they e..."

Hi, KD

Although I really enjoyed the book, not sure if I'll be looking for the sequel. I'll see how I feel this weekend. Not sure if I'll be doing much reading then.

message 13: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Cecelia wrote: "K.D. wrote: "Cecelia wrote: "I finished this book today. I still wish more had been explained. The ending didn't finish. Were Jonas and Gabriel able to find peace and solace in their new environmen..."

Cecilia, same here. There are many other books worth pursuing. Well anyway, I am more often than not like that. When I fancy a series, I pick the first book and if it is not THAT good, I stop.

Harry Potter for example. Not now, but maybe someday. LOTR, on the other hand, I finished all the three.

Cecelia K.D. wrote: "Cecelia wrote: "K.D. wrote: "Cecelia wrote: "I finished this book today. I still wish more had been explained. The ending didn't finish. Were Jonas and Gabriel able to find peace and solace in thei..."

I read the first Harry Potter book and that was it. I never finished the series - never read the second book and none after that. I thought the first one was okay - not sure why everybody was so hyped up about that series.

message 15: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Same here, Cecelia. We should be friends hehe.

Cecelia K.D. wrote: "Same here, Cecelia. We should be friends hehe."

Accepted friendship!! Have a good one!

message 17: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Cecelia wrote: "K.D. wrote: "Same here, Cecelia. We should be friends hehe."

Accepted friendship!! Have a good one!"

Thanks, Cecelia! :)