Jess's Reviews > Impossible

Impossible by Nancy Werlin

2119409
Dec 29, 11

bookshelves: teen, dark, borrowed, fantasy-lite
Read from December 27 to 29, 2011

I loved the premise for this book. I always enjoyed the ballad Scarborough Fair and was curious to see what came from it acting as an inspiration. Unfortunately, this book had the same problem that many supernatural fiction books have: great premise, poor execution.

Impossible had one foot in regular fiction and one foot in supernatural fiction and suffered for it. I really did not enjoy waiting the entire book for magic that barely turned up. If you’re going to have an Elfin King you should really have him especially since his magic is integral to the story. Instead, he and his magic were on the periphery.

Had this book been more grounded in regular fiction the characters would have needed to be more developed and therefore more compelling. I just felt like there wasn’t enough to them for regular fiction and not enough happening to them to develop them for paranormal fiction. Reading this book was a lot like reading the beginning of Twilight: pushing through the mundanities waiting for the supernatural to become real.

It was OK because the premise is interesting but it moves slowly and not a whole helluva lot happens. I would have enjoyed this more if the Elfin King had been more present since he’s so important and it’s a third person narrative.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Impossible.

Quotes Jess Liked

Nancy Werlin
“Music links us humans, heart to heart...Across time and space, and life and death.”
Nancy Werlin, Impossible

10/10/2010 page 35
12/28/2011 page 145
40.0% "Kind of reminds me of Twilight: the first half is really dragging on."
show 3 hidden updates…