Alice Meloy's Reviews > The Little Stranger

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

F_50x66
Aug 09, 09

I enjoyed Night Watch tremendously, so I was really looking forward to reading Waters' newest novel; once I started reading this book, I did not put it down except to eat and sleep. Though it is touted as a ghost story in some review I read, it really is just as much the story of a family being overwhelmed by tragedy. It has an additional layer of psychological twists that had me wondering about the characters for the entire book (and I still have a few questions). The narrator is a middle aged bachelor doctor who becomes friendly with a down-on-their-luck aristocratic family in small town Warwickshire immediately following the Second World War. Strange events occur at the manor house and though mental illness is a strong possibility, there are some unexplainable and possibly supernatural explanations. The plot builds with delicious slowness as Waters develops her characters and the romance between the doctor and the young lady of the manor. A riveting read rigorously recommended.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Stranger.